1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Satellite Problem

1. Feb 24, 2008 #1
    A small package is fired off Earth's surface with a speed V at a 45o angle. It reaches maximum height of h above surface at h=6370km, a value equal to Earth's radius itself.
    What is the speed when it reaches this height? Ignore any effects that might come from Earth's rotation.

Energy converstion: 1/2 mv^2 - GmM/R1 = 1/2mV^2 - 1/2 GmM/R2
    Parabolic Motion: hmax= vo^2(sin^2 ø) /2g
    Angular momentum conversition :L=rmv etc. etc.

3. I first calculated the Vo speed from hmax= vo^2(sin^2 ø) /2g equation
    Then I put the value into:
    1/2 mv^2 - GmM/R1 = 1/2mV^2
    - 1/2 GmM/R2

noting that R2=hmax=2 x Rearth

Then I calculated and found the SAME result from parabolic motion equations:
    first
    time= x/V0 cosø ... and then finding out Vx and Vy thus resulting to V speed.

Yet,

The book starts with angular momentum conversion, stating that :
    m(Vcosø)R = m Vfinal 2R and then using Vescape speed formula and energy conversition it comes out with completely different result.

Where did I go wrong? or how come results do not reconcile?
    [/b]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2008 #2
    hmax = vo^2(sin^2 ø) /2g is only valid if the acceleration of gravity is constant.

You can use the angular momentum equation to get the velocity at the apogee of the orbit as a function of the velocity at the surface. You can then subtitute that in the energy equation

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?