Solve Satellite Velocity & Altitude: Circular Orbit, Earth Equator

• Thread starter maff is tuff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Satellite
In summary: To find it, you just add Earth's rotational speed to the orbital speed, since the two are in opposite directions.But wouldn't how high it is off the ground play into its relative speed or is that irrelevant? I was thinking maybe it was talking about velocity with respect to a certain point on the trajectory of the circle and they just told us the rotational information so we can find the period. I don't know do you think that could be a possibility? So I have 3071 m/s as my velocity so relative to ground it is 3071m/s + [2pi(R of Earth + h)/(24 hrs=86400 sec)? Well I used the velocity, 3071
maff is tuff

Homework Statement

A satellite traveling in circular obit about the equator of the Earth in the opposite direction of the rotation of the earth. It passes over a position of the Earth every 12 hours. What is the velocity and altitude of the satellite?

Homework Equations

G (universal gravitational constant) = [tex]6.6742 \times 10^{-11} \frac{Nm^2}{kg}[/tex]

[tex]M_E[/tex] (mass of the earth) = [tex]5.97 \times 10^{24} kg[/tex]

[tex]R_E[/tex] (radius of the earth) = [tex]6.38 \times 10^6 m[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is attached below. Can you check this to make sure I am doing it right? No need to whip out the calculator and check my calculations, rather just check to see if my steps are right. If anything looks wrong please tell me. Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• Satellite Problem.pdf
    168.2 KB · Views: 229
Physics news on Phys.org
That's right, but I think the question asked for the speed of the satellite relative to the ground. You calculated its speed relative to an inertial reference frame.

It just said what is the speed and altitude of the satellite so I just assumed the speed was its distance divided by the time it took. Does velocity by default mean relative to the ground? How would I go about solving that? Thanks!

maff is tuff said:
It just said what is the speed and altitude of the satellite so I just assumed the speed was its distance divided by the time it took. Does velocity by default mean relative to the ground? How would I go about solving that? Thanks!

Actually, the question is badly worded; velocity usually means relative to an inertial reference frame. But if that's the case, whether the satellite orbits opposite to Earth's rotation would be irrelevant, so I assumed the question was talking about speed relative to ground.

To find it, you just add Earth's rotational speed to the orbital speed, since the two are in opposite directions.

But wouldn't how high it is off the ground play into its relative speed or is that irrelevant? I was thinking maybe it was talking about velocity with respect to a certain point on the trajectory of the circle and they just told us the rotational information so we can find the period. I don't know do you think that could be a possibility? So I have 3071 m/s as my velocity so relative to ground it is 3071m/s + [2pi(R of Earth + h)/(24 hrs=86400 sec)? Well I used the velocity, 3071m/s, to calculate my altitude so is my altitude wrong? What if the satellite was in synchronous orbit? Then would the velocity be just the Earth's speed or would it be zero? A lot of questions, sorry.

1. What is a circular orbit?

A circular orbit is a path that an object takes around another object, where the distance between the two objects remains constant at all times. In the case of satellites, a circular orbit around Earth means that the satellite is constantly at the same distance from the Earth's center, creating a circular path.

2. How is satellite velocity and altitude determined in a circular orbit?

In a circular orbit, the satellite's velocity and altitude are determined by the mass of the Earth, the gravitational constant, and the distance between the satellite and the Earth's center. These factors are used to calculate the necessary velocity for the satellite to maintain a circular orbit at a specific altitude.

3. How does the Earth's equator affect satellite velocity and altitude in a circular orbit?

The Earth's equator does not directly affect the velocity and altitude of satellites in a circular orbit. However, the Earth's rotation at the equator does add to the velocity of the satellite, making it easier for the satellite to achieve and maintain a circular orbit.

4. What is the significance of satellite velocity and altitude in a circular orbit?

The velocity and altitude of a satellite in a circular orbit are important for ensuring the stability and functionality of the satellite. If the velocity is too low, the satellite may not be able to maintain its orbit and could potentially crash into Earth. If the altitude is too high or too low, the satellite may not be able to perform its intended tasks effectively.

5. How is the circular orbit of a satellite around the Earth maintained?

The circular orbit of a satellite around the Earth is maintained through a careful balance of gravitational pull and centrifugal force. The gravitational pull of the Earth keeps the satellite in orbit, while the centrifugal force created by the satellite's velocity counteracts the gravitational pull and prevents the satellite from falling towards the Earth.