Satellite time delay question

In summary, the problem asks for the delay in a signal transmitted between two geostationary satellites and back to the Earth's surface. To solve this, the speed of light and the distance between the two satellites are given. Using the equation V=D/T, the delay can be calculated by finding the total distance traveled by the signal and dividing it by the speed of light. The answer is 0.40 seconds.
JasonR2

Homework Statement

Question: If a broadcast of a sporting event went up to a geostationary satellite, then traveled 50 000 km to another geostationary satellite, then came back to earth, what would be the delay in the signal? All electromagnetic waves travel at the speed of light, and most of the route would be in a vacuum. Also, remember that the path starts and ends at at the Earth's surface, not at the center of the Earth.

Variables:

c = 299 792 458 m / s
distance between two satellites = 50,000 km or 5.0 x 10^7 m

Other variables:

G = 6.674 x 10 ^ -11 m ^3 / kg/
Me (mass of earth) = 5.97219 x 10^ 24 kg
sd (Seconds in a day) = 86400 seconds

Homework Equations

L= 2 * pi *r

L = V/T

V = sqrt(G * Me / r)

From those the equation below is derived...

r = ((sd * sqrt(G * Me)) / (2 * pi) )^ (2/3)

v = d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that the geostationary radius (r_) is 4.22 x 10^ 7 m or 4.22 x 10^4 km. Which is confirmed is confirmed correct.

My problem is I don't know where to go from here I'm assuming I have to use the geostationary radius (r_) calculated and the speed of light (c). So the formula V=D/T should be the one to use.

The answer is supposed to be 0.40 seconds

I thought that I might need to look for the hypotenuse so I tried the a^2 + b^2 = c^2 Using 4.22 x 10^7 as a and 5.0 x 10^7 as b. I end up getting 6.54 x 10 ^ 7 m. I then took that and plugged it into the V=D/T equation to solve for T. V = speed of light.

T = 6.54 x 10 ^ 7 / 3.0 x 10 ^ 8 = 0.218 seconds

Unfortunately I come out with 0.218 seconds not even close to the answer.

Where do I go from here? Thanks!

Attachments

• Earth Orbit.png
    Earth Orbit.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org
JasonR2 said:

Homework Statement

Question: If a broadcast of a sporting event went up to a geostationary satellite, then traveled 50 000 km to another geostationary satellite, then came back to earth, what would be the delay in the signal? All electromagnetic waves travel at the speed of light, and most of the route would be in a vacuum. Also, remember that the path starts and ends at at the Earth's surface, not at the center of the Earth.

Variables:

c = 299 792 458 m / s
distance between two satellites = 50,000 km or 5.0 x 10^7 m

Other variables:

G = 6.674 x 10 ^ -11 m ^3 / kg/
Me (mass of earth) = 5.97219 x 10^ 24 kg
sd (Seconds in a day) = 86400 seconds

Homework Equations

L= 2 * pi *r

L = V/T

V = sqrt(G * Me / r)

From those the equation below is derived...

r = ((sd * sqrt(G * Me)) / (2 * pi) )^ (2/3)

v = d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that the geostationary radius (r_) is 4.22 x 10^ 7 m or 4.22 x 10^4 km. Which is confirmed is confirmed correct.

My problem is I don't know where to go from here I'm assuming I have to use the geostationary radius (r_) calculated and the speed of light (c). So the formula V=D/T should be the one to use.

The answer is supposed to be 0.40 seconds

I thought that I might need to look for the hypotenuse so I tried the a^2 + b^2 = c^2 Using 4.22 x 10^7 as a and 5.0 x 10^7 as b. I end up getting 6.54 x 10 ^ 7 m. I then took that and plugged it into the V=D/T equation to solve for T. V = speed of light.

T = 6.54 x 10 ^ 7 / 3.0 x 10 ^ 8 = 0.218 seconds

Unfortunately I come out with 0.218 seconds not even close to the answer.

Where do I go from here? Thanks!
Read the problem statement again carefully.

The signal is transmitted from the surface of the Earth to a satellite in geosynchronous orbit. The signal then bounces off that first satellite over to another satellite which is located 50,000 km away from the first satellite, and which is also in geosynchronous orbit. The signal then travels back to the surface of the earth. The total time delay is how long it takes the signal to travel over these three legs combined.

What is satellite time delay and how does it affect communication?

Satellite time delay refers to the delay in transmission of signals between a satellite and a ground station. This delay is caused by the distance the signals have to travel, which can be thousands of kilometers. It affects communication by causing a noticeable lag in real-time communication, making it difficult for two parties to have a natural conversation.

Why does satellite time delay vary?

Satellite time delay can vary due to a number of factors, such as the distance between the satellite and ground station, the type of satellite orbit, and the speed of the signals. Additionally, atmospheric conditions and interference can also affect the delay.

How is satellite time delay calculated?

Satellite time delay is calculated by multiplying the distance between the satellite and ground station by the speed of light, and then dividing by two. This gives the total time it takes for the signal to travel from the satellite to the ground station and back.

Can satellite time delay be reduced?

While satellite time delay cannot be completely eliminated, it can be reduced by using advanced technology and techniques such as signal amplification, error correction, and satellite orbit optimization. However, the delay will still exist to some extent due to the physical limitations of signal transmission.

How does satellite time delay impact satellite navigation systems?

Satellite time delay can affect the accuracy of satellite navigation systems, as it can cause a delay in the reception of signals from the satellites. This can result in errors in the positioning and timing information provided by the system. To counteract this, satellite navigation systems use algorithms and techniques to compensate for the delay and provide accurate information to the user.