Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Satellite to impact Moon tonight/tomorrow

1. Sep 1, 2006 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2006 #2

turbo

Gold Member

4. Sep 1, 2006 #3

LURCH

Science Advisor

And here, too;
    http://space.com/scienceastronomy/060831_smart-1_crash.html

They say the impact will either be at about 8:30 saturday night, or 1:30 Sunday morning. The uncertainty is because it is not a precise, targetted crash. They have narrowed down the time of impact to one of two orbits. It will probably hit on Sunday morning, but it might hit on the orbit before that. The orbits take about 5 hours, so the two possible times of impact are 5 hrs apart.

5. Sep 1, 2006 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'd be awfully surprised if it would be visible from amateur telescopes, but I'd still try if it were clear here...

6. Sep 2, 2006 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

More accurately, they don't have a thorough understanding of the terrain. If it encounters a hill on the first orbit then that'll be the orbit it impacts on.

7. Sep 5, 2006 #6

LURCH

Science Advisor

Anybody heard anyhting since the big night? I've been looking and I can't find a reort on when it hit, or if anyone could see it.

8. Sep 5, 2006 #7

J77

9. Sep 5, 2006 #8

LURCH

Science Advisor

Ah, closure. Thanks, J.

10. Sep 6, 2006 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?