Satisfying Maxwell's Equations

In summary, the homework statements satisfy Maxwell's Equations in free space if the following conditions are met: the fields have zero divergence, Ampere's Law gives us that 2B_0k=\mu_0 \epsilon_0 \omega E_0, and Faraday tells us that kE_0=\omega B_0.
MyName

Homework Statement

Show whether or not the following functions satisfies Maxwell's Equations in free space. (That is, show whether or not they represent a valid electromagnetic wave).

[tex]E(x,y,t)=(0,0,E_0 sin(kx-ky+\omega t))[/tex]
[tex]B(x,y,t)=B_0 (sin(kx-ky+\omega t),sin(kx-ky+\omega t),0)[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\nabla \times E=-\frac{\partial B}{\partial t}[/tex]
[tex]\nabla \times B=\mu_0 \epsilon_0\frac{\partial E}{\partial t}[/tex]
[tex]\nabla \cdot E=0[/tex]
[tex]\nabla \cdot B=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting with the easy two, It is clear that these functions have zero divergence.

Then Ampere's Law gives us that [itex]2B_0k=\mu_0 \epsilon_0 \omega E_0[/itex]
And Faraday tells us that [itex]kE_0=\omega B_0[/itex]

We then elliminate [itex]\frac{E_0}{B_0}[/itex] from these two equations and note that [itex]\frac{1}{\mu_0 \epsilon_0}=c^2[/itex] to find that [itex]\omega=\pm kc\sqrt{2}[/itex]

Up to this point i am fine. The field clearly satisfies maxwells equations aslong as these conditions are met. My problem is that it seems this implies the field pattern travels at [itex]\frac{\omega}{k}=\pm c\sqrt{2}>c[/itex] (the group velocity of the wave, correct?). This obviously can't be right. I do not know if I'm just interpreting the result wrong, or if somehow this field is invalid for some reason despite satisfying maxwells equations. I've been scouring my textbook and the internet for the last few hours and can't seem to find anything explaining my issue, and would really appreciate some help, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there anything in the question that states that ##k## is the wavenumber in this case or are you just assuming it from the choice of letter?

To put it another way, if the relationship between ##k## and ##\omega## is not defined in the question, then it is possible that ##k## is not actually the wave number, but rather some multiple of it, and that might help.

No, now i come to think of it there isn't anything stating that k is the wavenumber or that [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular frequency. If i remember correctly though, i was taught that the coefficients of the spatial variables are always the components of k, and that the time coefficient is always the angular frequency, but this isn't necessarily the case?
If this is the case how would I go about figuring out the speed of this wave? (I've heard that Maxwell's Equations predict that any electromagnetic wave travels at c, so I assume this should be possible to do)

By the way, I also tried substituting the [itex]E[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] fields into the wave equation itself;
[tex](\nabla^2-\frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial t})E=0[/tex]
[tex](\nabla^2-\frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial t})B=0[/tex]
And obtained the same results.

Also, is there any way two functions, say [itex]E[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex], can satisfy Maxwell's Equations without representing a valid electromagnetic wave (and is this perhaps the case?).
Thanks for your help.

Sorry I don't have the time and patience to check everything out here, but it seems to me that in this case, the spatial term is ##(x, y, z).(k, -k, 0)## so the magnitude of the wavenumber seems to be ##\sqrt{k^2+k^2+0} = k \sqrt{2}##, so this could be a valid electromagnetic wave if ##\omega/(k\sqrt{2}) = c##.

Thats fair enough, Ireally appreciate your time and effort. That makes sense actually. I guess what I said is only true for waves with one spatial compnent! It definitely makes a bit more sense to me now.

1. What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They were first developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and have been fundamental to our understanding of electromagnetism ever since.

2. Why is it important to satisfy Maxwell's Equations?

Satisfying Maxwell's Equations is important because it ensures that the behavior of electric and magnetic fields is consistent with our understanding of electromagnetism. It also allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations in a wide range of applications, from electronics to telecommunications.

3. What happens if Maxwell's Equations are not satisfied?

If Maxwell's Equations are not satisfied, it means that there is a discrepancy between the behavior of electric and magnetic fields and what is predicted by our current understanding of electromagnetism. This could lead to errors in calculations and a lack of consistency in experimental results.

4. How do we know if Maxwell's Equations are satisfied?

We can test if Maxwell's Equations are satisfied by conducting experiments and comparing the results to the predictions made by the equations. If the experimental results match the predictions, then we can conclude that the equations are satisfied.

5. Can Maxwell's Equations ever be violated?

Maxwell's Equations have been extensively tested and have been found to be valid in a wide range of scenarios. However, there are some cases where they may not hold true, such as in the presence of extreme conditions like strong magnetic fields or high speeds near the speed of light. In these cases, more advanced equations may need to be used.