1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Satisfying the right hand rule

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let a=(1,2,3) b=(-1,2,-1) and c=(0,1,-2). Do these vectors taken in this order, satisfy the right hand rule? Explain.

3. The attempt at a solution

I was told a cross b must equal c otherwise this is not satisfying? I'm VERY confused...can someone help out please and thanks?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2008 #2
    The cross product of a and b is perpendicular to both a and b.
    how can you tell if two vectors are perpendicular?

4. Apr 13, 2008 #3
    Two vectors are perpendicular if the dot product is 0. So for example a cross b = c

So then a dot c should equal 0 and the same should go for b dot c. So if both do equal zero it must mean they do satisfy the rule correct?

EDIT: Ok nvm that does not help me out at all in my question.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  5. Apr 13, 2008 #4
    and if a dot c is not zero or b dot c is not zero, c cannot be the cross product of a and b.

6. Apr 13, 2008 #5
    Hmm so how does the c=(0,1,-2) play a role in here?

7. Apr 13, 2008 #6
    the fact that c=(0,1,-2) obviously plays a role in calculating the dot product of a and c or b and c.

8. Apr 13, 2008 #7
    You don't have to take cross products, all you need is that they are linearly independent and they are.

If you define the x-axis to point along a, y-axis to point along b and z-axis to point along c would your coordinate system be right handed? If so, then a-b-c in that order satisfies the right hand rule.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?