Satisfying the right hand rule

In summary, the conversation discusses whether three given vectors, a=(1,2,3), b=(-1,2,-1), and c=(0,1,-2), taken in that order, satisfy the right hand rule. The participants also discuss the criteria for determining if two vectors are perpendicular, and how the vector c=(0,1,-2) plays a role in this question. Ultimately, it is concluded that a-b-c in that order does satisfy the right hand rule and the coordinate system is right handed.
Grawr
1. Homework Statement

Let a=(1,2,3) b=(-1,2,-1) and c=(0,1,-2). Do these vectors taken in this order, satisfy the right hand rule? Explain.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I was told a cross b must equal c otherwise this is not satisfying? I'm VERY confused...can someone help out please and thanks?

Physics news on Phys.org
The cross product of a and b is perpendicular to both a and b.
how can you tell if two vectors are perpendicular?

Two vectors are perpendicular if the dot product is 0. So for example a cross b = c

So then a dot c should equal 0 and the same should go for b dot c. So if both do equal zero it must mean they do satisfy the rule correct?

EDIT: Ok nvm that does not help me out at all in my question.

Last edited:
Grawr said:
Two vectors are perpendicular if the dot product is 0. So for example a cross b = c

So then a dot c should equal 0 and the same should go for b dot c. So if both do equal zero it must mean they do satisfy the rule correct?

EDIT: Ok nvm that does not help me out at all in my question.

and if a dot c is not zero or b dot c is not zero, c cannot be the cross product of a and b.

Hmm so how does the c=(0,1,-2) play a role in here?

the fact that c=(0,1,-2) obviously plays a role in calculating the dot product of a and c or b and c.

You don't have to take cross products, all you need is that they are linearly independent and they are.

If you define the x-axis to point along a, y-axis to point along b and z-axis to point along c would your coordinate system be right handed? If so, then a-b-c in that order satisfies the right hand rule.

1. What is the right hand rule?

The right hand rule is a simple technique used in physics and engineering to determine the direction of a vector in a three-dimensional space. It is based on the principle that the direction of a vector can be determined by the direction of your curled fingers when you place your right hand on the vector with your thumb pointing in the direction of the current or motion.

2. Why is the right hand rule important?

The right hand rule is important because it helps us determine the direction of a vector in a three-dimensional space, which is crucial in many fields of science and engineering. It is also used in electromagnetism to determine the direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire.

3. How do you use the right hand rule?

To use the right hand rule, you need to follow these steps:

1. Place your right hand on the vector with your fingers curled in the direction of rotation or motion.

2. Align your thumb with the direction of current or motion.

3. Your fingers will now point in the direction of the vector.

4. Are there any variations of the right hand rule?

Yes, there are variations of the right hand rule depending on the specific application. For example, in electromagnetism, there is the right hand grip rule, where the fingers of your right hand curl in the direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire.

Another variation is the right hand screw rule, where the rotation of a screw corresponds to the direction of the vector.

5. Can the right hand rule be used for left-handed individuals?

Yes, the right hand rule can be used by left-handed individuals as well. They can simply use their left hand instead of their right hand to follow the same steps and determine the direction of the vector.