1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Saturability by smoothness

1. Nov 11, 2007 #1
    Sorry for my English. :)
    Let function [tex]f(x)[/tex] defined on [tex][a,b][/tex] and its table [tex]f(x_k)[/tex] determined in equidistant interpolation nodes [tex]x_k[/tex] [tex]k=0,1,..,n[/tex] with step [tex]h=\frac{b-a}{n}[/tex].
    Inaccuracy of piecewise-polynomial interpolation of power [tex]s[/tex] (with the help of interpolation polynoms [tex]P_s(x,f_{kj})[/tex] on the [tex]x_k \leq x \leq x_{k+1}[/tex]) when [tex]f^{(s+1)}(x)[/tex] exist and limited on [tex][a,b][/tex] have a [tex]O(h^{s+1})[/tex] order.
    If all we know about function [tex]f(x)[/tex] is that it has limited derivative to some order [tex]q[/tex] [tex]q<s[/tex], then unavoidable error when we reconstructed the function with the help of its table is [tex]O(h^{q+1})[/tex]. If we interpolate with [tex]P_s(x,f_{kj})[/tex] the order [tex]O(h^{q+1})[/tex] reached.
    When [tex]f(x)[/tex] have limited derivative of the order [tex]q+1[/tex], [tex]q>s[/tex], then inaccuracy of interpolation with the help of [tex]P_s(x,f_{kj})[/tex] remains [tex]O(h^{q+1})[/tex], i.e. the order of inaccuracy doesn't react on the supplemented, beyond the [tex]s+1[/tex] derivative, smoothness of the function [tex]f(x)[/tex].
    How can I prove this property called saturability by smoothness.
    Thanks for any ideas!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2007 #2
    Any references coresponding to this theme?
    Any books, links and so on?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?