Sauce is on the way

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
all the way from Dreamland in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA.

I can't wait! It's so yummy! If I remember correctly there are no napkins in Dreamland, just a big plate of slices of Sunbeam white bread to wipe your hands on.

http://www.dreamlandbbq.com

http://www.dreamlandbbq.com/images/db/7-53-ThumbnailImage.jpg [Broken]

Who's coming over to MIH's for BBQ? I need someone to help me with the grill.

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm coming.

Does that go well with frozen broccoli and NyQuil?

Evo
Mentor
I'm on my way!!!! <grabs bib>

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm coming.

Does that go well with frozen broccoli and NyQuil?
You can bring the venison. :biggrin:

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm on my way!!!! <grabs bib>
The bib's a good idea. I was thinking about wearing a complete smock. It gets really messy.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
<grabs bib>
Amateurs. :rolleyes:

:rofl:

I carefully studied the cooking show where they were judging a BBQ contest, and now consider myself fully qualified to stare at the closed lid on the BBQ with mouth watering. :approve: I can even stab with a fork the hand of anyone who tries to open it and let out all the heat and moisture. :biggrin:

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Amateurs. :rolleyes:

:rofl:

I carefully studied the cooking show where they were judging a BBQ contest, and now consider myself fully qualified to stare at the closed lid on the BBQ with mouth watering. :approve: I can even stab with a fork the hand of anyone who tries to open it and let out all the heat and moisture. :biggrin:
yikes! ok, you can mind the grill. I'll make some noodle salad.

I can bring some corn casserole. It's Paula Dean's Recipe. I met her once. She is so nice......she signed my cook book!

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I can bring some corn casserole. It's Paula Dean's Recipe. I met her once. She is so nice......she signed my cook book!
yes, bring it on! Corn casserole sounds yummy.

I was just telling my friend how we once put Dreamland BBQ sauce on Angelo's (Ft. Worth) ribs and created the most perfect BBQ ribs the world has ever known. o:)

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is a wonderful tangy hot slaw recipe from Alabama. We put it on pulled pork sandwiches, and it is great on hotdogs, too.

Hot Slaw Recipe

1 head of cabbage
1 large green bell pepper
1 large onion
3 carrots
1 Tbs salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbs ground cayenne pepper
¼ c. sugar
¼ c. white vinegar
1/3 to ½ c. yellow mustard

1. In food processor, chop vegetable ingredients until fine. May also be done by hand. Just go for finely chopped as opposed to a typical slaw or kraut “shred”.
2. Add salt, sugar, peppers. Toss well.
3. Add white vinegar. Mix
4. Add yellow mustard and stir well to incorporate. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to stand for at least a couple of hours. Taste. Adjust.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dreamland BBQ sauce
I didn't realize that Strieber had a BBQ sauce. I would bet that it is missing thyme.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I didn't realize that Strieber had a BBQ sauce. I would bet that it is missing thyme.
ar ar ar ar ar ar! good one, Ivan! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is a wonderful tangy hot slaw recipe from Alabama. We put it on pulled pork sandwiches, and it is great on hotdogs, too.

Hot Slaw Recipe

1 head of cabbage
1 large onion
3 carrots
1 Tbs salt
1 tsp black pepper
¼ c. sugar
¼ c. white vinegar

1. In food processor, chop vegetable ingredients until fine. May also be done by hand. Just go for finely chopped as opposed to a typical slaw or kraut “shred”.
4. Add yellow mustard and stir well to incorporate. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to stand for at least a couple of hours. Taste. Adjust.
Ooh, that sounds yummy! I like to add cole slaw to sandwiches instead of lettuce or mayo, so I think I'll be giving that recipe a try...that should certainly spice up bland turkey sandwiches (of which I'm bound to have a lot of over the next several days).

turbo
Gold Member
Ooh, that sounds yummy! I like to add cole slaw to sandwiches instead of lettuce or mayo, so I think I'll be giving that recipe a try...that should certainly spice up bland turkey sandwiches (of which I'm bound to have a lot of over the next several days).
One thing that my wife and I have been doing to cole slaw recently is cutting back on the mayo and adding bread and butter pickles. That slaw is killer with baked beans or on BBQ pork sandwiches. I should mention that the bread and butter pickles are the batch that we made with jalapeno peppers, so they're a little snappy.

Last edited:
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
to me, BBQ sandwiches do not taste right unless they have either pickles or slaw on them. The BBQ places around here just don't get it.

turbo
Gold Member
to me, BBQ sandwiches do not taste right unless they have either pickles or slaw on them. The BBQ places around here just don't get it.
Have met in a former life?

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Have met in a former life?
I'm sure of it. And it was at a tiny roadside BBQ shack. :approve:

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Chocolate chip pancake wrapped around a sausdage???:bugeye: :surprised :yuck:

That is so WRONG!!!!!
But is it so wrong that a dip in maple syrup couldn't make it right? Maple syrup is sort of a baptismal, wrong-absolving fluid in many breakfast transgressions.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Better yet, these are microwaveable, so just nukem and pukem.
Mmmmmmm, now that is an effective advertising slogan!

turbo
Gold Member
But is it so wrong that a dip in maple syrup couldn't make it right? Maple syrup is sort of a baptismal, wrong-absolving fluid in many breakfast transgressions.
Maple syrup has magical properties. My favorite smoker recipe is to brine a big filet of Atlantic Salmon, rub it with salt and pepper and drizzle maple syrup all over it. Then into the smoker it goes (in an aluminum foil boat) for about 20 minutes in heavy hickory smoke. Simple and delicious.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Hot Slaw Recipe

1 head of cabbage
1 large onion
3 carrots
1 Tbs salt
1 tsp black pepper
¼ c. sugar
¼ c. white vinegar

Hey, turbo, do you think I could preserve this hot slaw in sealed mason jars if I made up a batch?

p.s. My Dreamland sauce came today while I was out at a lecture. ooh, I'm drooling!:tongue2:

turbo
Gold Member
Hey, turbo, do you think I could preserve this hot slaw in sealed mason jars if I made up a batch?
I wouldn't try that unless you want food poisoning. There is not enough salt or vinegar to inhibit bacterial growth, and even if there were, you'd have to cover the solids with fluid to exclude air. Bad idea.

Math Is Hard said:
p.s. My Dreamland sauce came today while I was out at a lecture. ooh, I'm drooling!:tongue2:
Mmm! Have fun!

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I wouldn't try that unless you want food poisoning. There is not enough salt or vinegar to inhibit bacterial growth, and even if there were, you'd have to cover the solids with fluid to exclude air. Bad idea.
Thanks, I won't attempt it then. Someday I do hope to try doing preserves. Looks tricky, though.