Sauce is on the way

turbo
Gold Member
Thanks, I won't attempt it then. Someday I do hope to try doing preserves. Looks tricky, though.
Preserves aren't real tricky, as long as you follow procedure. Foods that are acidic enough (like our jalapeno and habanero sauces and tomato-based salsas) can be canned with minimal processing (sterilize your jars and lids, hot-pack them with the finished sauce, put lids on and immerse them in boiling water for the recommended time). This type of processing creates a nice vacuum seal - very safe. It's things like beets, beans, carrots, etc that you have to be very careful with - extensive processing in a pressure cooker is required to avoid food poisoning. Simply cooking the foods and sealing them is not enough because the temperature won't get high enough to kill the organisms that produce the toxins that cause Botulism. We blanche such foods to stop enzymatic breakdown, bag them, and stuff them in one of the chest freezers. Some vegetables are remarkably tasty even after freezing. Swiss chard is one of the best.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Mmmmmmm, now that is an effective advertising slogan!
The comments on that page were hysterical. There was this:
This is a vast improvement over squirrel and sausage on a stick.
and then this exchange:
Are you alright? I mean, seriously. This isn't food! And being a 'junk-foodie' isn't something to be proud of, in case you were unaware. And promoting it, eating junk food in place of natural foods, is going to create a wonderful example for your children. They'll grow up with these fabulous eating habits and I'm sure you'll be proud of them when they weight three-hundred pounds and have high cholesterol and diabetes.

I wish you would take a step back for a moment and realize the real, honest-to-god consequences of your actions.
Oh man, please shut up. Seriously, not everything in life requires your activism.

People can eat crappy food every once in a while and live normal, happy lives. Not everyone who ever ate a donut and enjoyed it grew into a 300 pound sloth with diabetes and fat kids.

Get over yourself. You wanna do some good? Go save Darfur. Leave my pancakes alone.