Solving for x: Differential Equation with Sin & Cos

• Thread starter jamesbob
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation of the form \frac{dx}{dt} + x = -3\sin(2t) + 4\cos(2t). The proposed solution of x = a\cos2t + b\sin2t is correct for the particular solution, but the complete solution also requires adding the solution of the associated homogeneous equation. The conversation also mentions finding the coefficients a and b by integrating and substituting in the equation.
jamesbob
[tex]iii. \frac{dx}{dt} + x - -3sin2t + 4cos2t [/tex]

Can anyone help with this. All i know is to set

[tex] x = a\cos2t + b\sin2t[/tex]

I don't even know if that is right:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a differential equation? I'm missing the equation part, in that case. Do you mean the following?

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} + x = -3\sin(2t) + 4\cos(2t) [/tex]

Last edited:
oh sorry, yeah that's what i meant to write :redface:

In that case, your proposal was fine for a particular solution but you need to add the solution of the associated homogeonous equation to obtain the complete solution. Luckily, that isn't too hard since what is the solution of the followin?

[tex]\frac{{dx}}{{dt}} + x = 0 \Leftrightarrow \frac{{dx}}{{dt}} = - x[/tex]

If you don't see it immediately, integrate.

To find the coefficients a and b of your particular solution for x, find dx/dt and substitute in the equation to identify coefficients.

1. How do I solve a differential equation with sin and cos?

To solve a differential equation with sin and cos, you will need to use a variety of techniques, including substitution, integration, and trigonometric identities. You will also need to understand the properties of these functions and how they relate to derivatives.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve for x in a differential equation with sin and cos?

While a calculator can be useful for checking your work, it is not recommended to solely rely on it to solve a differential equation with sin and cos. These types of equations require a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and relationships, and it is important to work through the problem step by step.

3. What is the difference between a differential equation with sin and cos and a regular differential equation?

A differential equation with sin and cos includes trigonometric functions in addition to regular functions. This means that you will need to use specific techniques and identities to solve for x, rather than just relying on standard differentiation and integration rules.

4. Can I solve for x in a differential equation with sin and cos without knowing the initial conditions?

It is possible to solve for x without knowing the initial conditions, but it will result in a general solution. To find a specific solution, you will need to use the initial conditions to determine the constants in the equation.

5. How can I check if my solution for x is correct in a differential equation with sin and cos?

You can check the validity of your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also take the derivative of your solution and see if it matches the original equation. It is also helpful to compare your solution to other known solutions of the same equation.