Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Saudi Arabia declares all atheists are terrorists

1. Nov 16, 2015 #1
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ack-down-on-political-dissidents-9228389.html

It seems a new royal decree is in effect in Saudi Arabia....

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2015 #2

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not quite "new", but new news to me.

The article is dated April 1, 2014

Interesting, hind-sight follow-up on the situation:

hmm..... "a growing notion".
    Interesting

4. Nov 16, 2015 #3
    I have only just noticed the date of publication! However yes, for me also it is new news. I don't recall anything back in April 2014 regarding this royal decree.

5. Nov 17, 2015 #4
    King Abdullah issued Royal Decree 44, which criminalises "participating in hostilities outside the kingdom" with prison sentences of between three and 20 years, Human Rights Watch said.
    That one seems to be somewhat similar to what other countries have done regarding activities abroad.

Article one of the new provisions defines terrorism as "calling for atheist thought in any form, or calling into question the fundamentals of the Islamic religion on which this country is based".
    Separation of church and state is a concept not understood.

6. Nov 17, 2015 #5

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

An example of "TMI", IMHO.
    There are about 7 billion people on the planet now, each with their own opinion, of what is "newsworthy".

People being stupid, is as old as time itself.

So, I don't fault either of us, for missing this event.

But thank you for bringing it up. Old interesting news is always fun. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook