Saudi Arabia declares all atheists are terrorists

• News
  • Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ack-down-on-political-dissidents-9228389.html

It seems a new royal decree is in effect in Saudi Arabia....

King Abdullah issued Royal Decree 44, which criminalises "participating in hostilities outside the kingdom" with prison sentences of between three and 20 years, Human Rights Watch said.

Article one of the new provisions defines terrorism as "calling for atheist thought in any form, or calling into question the fundamentals of the Islamic religion on which this country is based".

Likes 256bits and OmCheeto

Answers and Replies

OmCheeto
Gold Member
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ack-down-on-political-dissidents-9228389.html

It seems a new royal decree is in effect in Saudi Arabia....
Not quite "new", but new news to me.

The article is dated April 1, 2014

Interesting, hind-sight follow-up on the situation:

Atheism explodes in Saudi Arabia, despite state-enforced ban [salon]
June 4, 2014
But the greater willingness to privately admit to being atheist reflects a general disillusionment with religion and what one Saudi called “a growing notion” that religion is being misused by authorities to control the population.
hmm..... "a growing notion".
Interesting

Not quite "new", but new news to me.

The article is dated April 1, 2014
I have only just noticed the date of publication! However yes, for me also it is new news. I don't recall anything back in April 2014 regarding this royal decree.

256bits
Gold Member
King Abdullah issued Royal Decree 44, which criminalises "participating in hostilities outside the kingdom" with prison sentences of between three and 20 years, Human Rights Watch said.
That one seems to be somewhat similar to what other countries have done regarding activities abroad.

Article one of the new provisions defines terrorism as "calling for atheist thought in any form, or calling into question the fundamentals of the Islamic religion on which this country is based".
Separation of church and state is a concept not understood.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
I have only just noticed the date of publication! However yes, for me also it is new news. I don't recall anything back in April 2014 regarding this royal decree.
An example of "TMI", IMHO.
There are about 7 billion people on the planet now, each with their own opinion, of what is "newsworthy".

People being stupid, is as old as time itself.

So, I don't fault either of us, for missing this event.

But thank you for bringing it up. Old interesting news is always fun. :smile: