What's the deal with saunas in libraries?

• Thread starter misgfool
  • Start date
In summary, the city is planning to build a public unisex sauna on the balcony of the main library. The libraries in general have books, but not in the sauna. Some libraries also have amenities such as coffee shops and swimming pools, while others are located near shopping complexes. The idea behind the sauna is to promote social interaction and education, but there are concerns about homeless individuals using it. However, the city does not technically have any homeless people and the term "grad-student" or "jobless millennial" may be more appropriate.
misgfool
I just read that the city is planning to build a public unisex sauna to the balcony of the main library. What kind of stuff do you have in your libraries?

Physics news on Phys.org
Books ?

mgb_phys said:
Books ?

I strongly believe that there are also books in the library. Not in the sauna though.

I can't imagine a sauna in a library. Mine does have a little coffee/bakery shop in it, but your not allowed to bring books into that area.

I also can't imagine a sauna attached to a library. Our university library has a Starbucks in it... and we are allowed to take our yummies everywhere (in the computer-lab/commons or in the stacks).

I can't imagine free a sauna in a library.
If it's not free and you can't take your books to there then that's no more than a sauna near a library.

My all libraries have wireless internet - only thing I care about :) Most of them are near shopping complexes from where you can get almost anything. And one library building has a swimming pool! - one that's closest to my home.

In the old days there were many public saunas, since people didn't have their own, to improve the city hygiene situation. But maybe the idea is to get academic sauna discussions going. I think the idea is kind of funny, while trying to create more social interaction and draw more people to educate themselves.

Homeless people :frown:.

lisab said:

Technically there are no homeless in the city with the exception of willing homelessness. Even if that would get homeless there, surely it's a better place than the gutter?

lisab said:
I believe the politically correct term is 'grad-student'

1. What is a sauna doing in a library?

A sauna in a library is an innovative idea that combines the relaxation benefits of a sauna with the intellectual environment of a library. It allows individuals to unwind and de-stress while also engaging in intellectual activities such as reading or studying.

2. Is it safe to have a sauna in a library?

Yes, it is safe to have a sauna in a library as long as it is installed and operated properly. The sauna should be regularly maintained and follow all safety regulations to ensure the well-being of its users.

3. How does a sauna affect the books and other materials in the library?

A sauna is typically designed to have minimal impact on the surrounding environment. The temperature and humidity levels are controlled to prevent any damage to the books and materials in the library.

4. Do I need to bring my own towel and bathing suit for the sauna in the library?

Yes, it is recommended to bring your own towel and bathing suit for the sauna in the library. However, some libraries may provide these amenities for their patrons.

5. Can anyone use the sauna in the library?

The use of the sauna in the library may be restricted to certain groups, such as students or library members. It is best to check with the library staff for their specific policies and guidelines regarding the sauna.