Save Bacon from becoming bacon

• Thread starter Be Happy!
  • Start date
In summary, Coral Reef Senior High School is auctioning off a pig named "Bacon" with the intention of using the proceeds to fund the school. PETA became aware of the event and students at the school are trying to raise money to save the animal's life. The school should put an end to curriculum and fundraising activities that use and dispose of live animals.
Originally posted by Evo
Bacon goes on the block at 7pm EST tonight.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/education/8213942.htm

thanks for the link evo!
i wonder if sangeeta has any more info?

in friendship,
prad

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the Guvnah on the phone! ...he'll have his eggs over-easy.

Originally posted by Michael D. Sewell

4.) I hope I have done some good here. You are a control freak. Help is available, it will prevent further damage to your personal relationships with your friends and family. Best wishes and good luck with your recovery.
Your friend,
Mike

Mike, do you happen to see how hypocritical this is?

Originally posted by Evo
I disagree. If they went into this uncaring, I think it's wonderful that they learned to feel compassion for this poor animal.

I really like what you said here. It is beautiful and captures the essence of what is happening in this situation.

Ranjana

What would you hope to uncover during your investigation?

i didn't realize that the investigation was launched, but it would seem you have already initiated it

however, what it shows so far is

1) the quoting of phrases (regardless of context) i have written simply because they have words like 'wanting', 'should', 'suggest', 'worthy' as evidence to presumably implicate me as a 'control freak'

2) that you will indeed conclude 'anything you want to' (at least on this thread) regardless of whether there is any justification.

3) that you don't care what i want you 'to be, do, think, or eat'

4) that you evidently don't realize that i really don't care what you 'are, do, think, or eat'

5) that despite my insensitivity towards you as indicated in 4), you still wish to 'prevent further damage to my personal relationships with my friends and family.'

you seem determined to turn this discussion into a vegetarian issue, instead of what it really is, which is a group of kids trying to save a pig they have grown fond of. at the very least, you seem determined to defend the rights of carrots! if you really want to discuss the ethics of eating meat, there is a thread in the general philosophy forum where it would be more appropriate, imho.

be that as it may, i still think it would be interesting to look at what makes some people conclude that others are control freaks. people tell each other what to do all the time - at which point do the words 'control freak' enter the picture?

Last edited:
Yes, my son, once humans would own others because of their skin color. But then we took a real look at ourselves.

Yesterday I went to a children's farm and pet a pig, among other animals. It's like Alice (in Wonderland), upon introduction to her bowl of soup, being told cordiality would not allow her to sup it hence.

Any news on (Franks) Bacon?

First Day of Spring turns Bacon into DAISY!

Here's the update:

After a rather difficult struggle, Bacon (newly named Daisy) has been saved! Daisy is splashing in the pool with sunscreen, and playing in the mud, on a sanctuary in Florida!

The students at Coral Reef High School raised enough money to save her Saturday night at the auction. While there, they found other students who were crying not wanting to send their animals to their death. These students begged the CRHS students to save their animals as well….when the truck departed the next morning, Daisy left with "Petunia" and "Tulip" (two other pigs) and a lamb named "Mary".

The auction participants were very rude to the kind kids…calling them names and putting down their efforts. Despite being laughed at by adults and their peers, these courageous students saved their beloved pig and a few other friends through their tireless fundraising efforts.

This week the students are in the process of starting an animal rights club on campus, and educators are currently in the process of drafting school board policy today, to be introduced at the next school board meeting to end this practice in schools. This isn't a story of one pig being saved with thousands of dollars…it's the beginning of local empowerment in the process for policy change.

Here are their happy freedom pictures! http://www.towardsfreedom.com/veggiechess/crhs.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update Sangeeta! Wonderful news! I'm glad to see something good may be coming out of this.

"Some animals are more brave than others."

I'm glad to see something good may be coming out of this.

But does it outweigh the bad that may be coming out of this?

For the purpose of this discussion, that point is located where my lips and a pork chop intersect.
Your friend,
Mike

i assume from the above that you do not want to continue the discussion any further. if that is not the case, let me know.

Originally posted by Hurkyl
But does it outweigh the bad that may be coming out of this?

what bad may come as a result of this?

and should the potential 'outweighing' determine whether a course of action is taken or not?

Back