Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Save files as images

1. Jul 6, 2008 #1

SF

No one thought something useful could be learned on 4chan, until now.

http://orz.4chan.org/hr/res/381892.html

Apparently renaming a file (such as an .mp3) to .raw and then saving it (using IrfanView or Photoshop) to PNG will allow you to retain the useful information in the image file.

When converting the PNG back to RAW and renaming it to have the original extension, you'll get the original file.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And why would that be useful? Why not just save it as its original file? Is it compressed more that way?

4. Jul 7, 2008 #3
    Well, that link is broken, so I can't comment on the source of your information. However, your description sounds like a pointless exercise.

Simply renaming a file does not change the file's structure -- "myfile.mp3" renamed as "myfile.raw" is still a mp3 file. Second problem, "RAW" files are uncompressed image files created by digital cameras. Once you convert a RAW file to PNG (or anything else) you have lost image data. Saving a PNG as "RAW" can't restore that lost data.

5. Jul 7, 2008 #4

SF

Apparently it does.

I saved a PNG as .RAW, renamed it to MP3 and got an .mp3 of the Rick Roll.

Possible applications relate to hiding stuff.

6. Jul 7, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

Was the original png file really a picture? I'd certainly like to see a file which is both an image and can be played as an audio file.

7. Jul 7, 2008 #6

SF

8. Jul 9, 2008 #7

Defennder

Homework Helper

It works. But strangely, when I tried to do the reverse by taking one my own mp3 files and reversing the process and then applying this procedure the media player failed to play the decoded mp3 file.

9. Jul 9, 2008 #8
    Oh god, not 4Chan, the cesspool of the internet

10. Jul 10, 2008 #9

ranger

Gold Member

Ditto that!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?