1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Save'm Star's related Questions! Help Pz

1. Jan 21, 2005 #1
    Urgent HELP Star's related Questions!

Good Morning, I need help to answer these questions if anyone out there knows the answer for them, please shout or type (whatever u prefer :rofl: )it a.s.a.p
    what are the few methods astronomers use to today to find what stars are made of ? (other than telescope?)

if in the line spectrum, u see certain line, not the rest! is it correct to conclude the other elements are nt present in the star? why or whynot?
    thanks anyhoo
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Jan 21, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The interior of a star generally produces continuum radiation, with no visible spectral features. The absorption lines you see in stellar spectra are actually due to that continuum light passing through elements in the cooler outer layers of the star.

- Warren
  5. Jan 22, 2005 #4
    Thankyou both, Good start for now.
  6. Jan 23, 2005 #5
    After browsing the site, im still unsure for the answer :
    then how did they detected 90% hydrogen and Helium, at first place? if " "
    is there any chances of them (scientists) detecting any more elements if it is not the line spectrum? (I am annoying I know, but please try to help me comprehend this, will ya?)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?