Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Saw a strange bug once

1. Oct 26, 2005 #1
    It was a small beetle like a Ladybug but it had back legs like a grasshopper and it jumped like one too. Any bug experts out there know of a hopping beetle?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2005 #2

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps you saw a flea beetle. If you disturb them, they will jump.
    If you want to dig more, search using keywords such as: Coleoptera, jump, hop, & beetle
    There are variations in flea beetles markings Here are a few examples: image1, image2, image3 and image4

Sidenote: Charles Darwin had a lifelong passion, collecting beetles. Coleptera is the largest Order of all the insects, with more than 300,000 worldwide.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  4. Oct 28, 2005 #3

JamesU

Gold Member

I want to ask something about a bug I saw once. It's body looked like a red square, maybe 5mm in length. On each diagonal, a long leg stuck out. It looked like a spider, but with 4 legs..does anyone know about something like this?

5. Oct 28, 2005 #4

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Never saw one like that. All insects I have heard of have 6 legs and spiders 8. Perhaps you can take a picture next time, you may have discovered a new taxonomic category. :biggrin:
    Assasin bugs sometimes appear to have four legs but actually have six, two may be modified and may be held tightly against the front of their body. There is a lot of variety of assassin bugs, some do have red markings.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?