1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Saw a strange bug once

1. Oct 26, 2005 #1
    It was a small beetle like a Ladybug but it had back legs like a grasshopper and it jumped like one too. Any bug experts out there know of a hopping beetle?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2005 #2

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps you saw a flea beetle. If you disturb them, they will jump.
    If you want to dig more, search using keywords such as: Coleoptera, jump, hop, & beetle
    There are variations in flea beetles markings Here are a few examples: image1, image2, image3 and image4

Sidenote: Charles Darwin had a lifelong passion, collecting beetles. Coleptera is the largest Order of all the insects, with more than 300,000 worldwide.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  4. Oct 28, 2005 #3

JamesU

Gold Member

I want to ask something about a bug I saw once. It's body looked like a red square, maybe 5mm in length. On each diagonal, a long leg stuck out. It looked like a spider, but with 4 legs..does anyone know about something like this?

5. Oct 28, 2005 #4

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Never saw one like that. All insects I have heard of have 6 legs and spiders 8. Perhaps you can take a picture next time, you may have discovered a new taxonomic category. :biggrin:
    Assasin bugs sometimes appear to have four legs but actually have six, two may be modified and may be held tightly against the front of their body. There is a lot of variety of assassin bugs, some do have red markings.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?