Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Say chess !

1. Aug 13, 2007 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Say "chess"!

Greg/Chroot, aren't we forgetting to make an announcement?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2007 #2
    Did a bit of testing first

4. Aug 13, 2007 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good idea though!

5. Aug 13, 2007 #4
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  6. Aug 13, 2007 #5
    I would not mind seeing this as a permanent feature on FP.

7. Aug 13, 2007 #6
    Yes, excellent idea!

8. Aug 13, 2007 #7

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This sounds cool, but how and where do I get a game started??

9. Aug 13, 2007 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just go to General Discussion. It is located just below the political forum at the top of the page.

10. Aug 13, 2007 #9

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This sounds fun.

Is there a thread in which I can declare my interest to play and find an opponent?

11. Aug 13, 2007 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just read the FAQ on how to start a game there...you can start a game and not specify an opponent, which allows any other member interested in playing to join in and make themselves your opponent. Just take a gander at how Cyrus and dontdisturbmycircles started some games.

It's a little weird that the discussion of the game appears in the game window right in with all the plays, but I guess there's no way to split that out.

As if folks didn't have enough reason to be addicted to PF. :biggrin: Maybe I'll learn some chess by watching.

12. Aug 14, 2007 #11

Lisa!

Gold Member

Wow! Chess!:!!)
    It's been for a long time since the last time I've played chess:frown:(you know who addictive this game is. I usually played with my dad who's retired and we even forgot to eat something:rolleyes:)
    I'll be in as soon as I find some free time:cry:

13. Aug 14, 2007 #12

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Cool!

14. Aug 14, 2007 #13

radou

Homework Helper

Some tiny flaws, but a good idea in general. :smile:

15. Aug 14, 2007 #14
    The only major problem I have come accross so far is sometimes illegal moves are made (ok, lots of the time) and there is no way to repair the situation and sometimes a good game is lost. A take move back agreement feature would be nice and would solve that. Where both players could choose to agree that the game should be returned to a position 1 or 2 moves previous.

Otherwise I have been having lots of fun using this new PF feature. :tongue:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  16. Aug 17, 2007 #15

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Wow, this gonna be a lot of fun. :smile: :biggrin:

Still, somehow, the Chess board hasn't appeared to be a sub-forum of General Discussion on the main-page.

17. Aug 17, 2007 #16
    Just make sure you don't do it that way in a sanctioned tournament. Touching the rook before the king will prevent you from castling with that rook if the touch-move rule is in effect. Move the king two squares right or left, and then scootch the rook around it.
    http://chess.about.com/cs/reference/g/bldeftou.htm
    If the software were better, it could recognize the two square move of the king as the first half of a castle, and finish the maneuver on it's own. There are some chess programs that work that way.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  18. Aug 17, 2007 #17

ranger

Gold Member

Yup, becuase if you touch or attempt to move the rook first, your opponent could claim that you intended to move the rook with no intention of castling.

19. Aug 17, 2007 #18
    This got me wondering about the magic incantation j'adoube (pronounced j'adoube) which allows it's speaker to neutralize the touch-move rule. Suppose I doube that rook right next to the king, after the appropriate speechify of course, and then move the king around it. Would it fly?

20. Aug 17, 2007 #19

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, because "J'adoube" is meant to put a piece better on the square it was on. So if you "adoube" the rook, you would have to leave it on the corner square.

21. Aug 17, 2007 #20
    I believe that term can only be used when correcting the position of a specific piece, say, if it is a bit off, not when making an actual move.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?