1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Say Something Extremely Nice/Bad about Yourself(or everyone you want)

1. Aug 13, 2005 #1

Lisa!

Gold Member

about me:

Nice: having a good memory(esp. for men's mistakes :tongue2: )

Terrible: too impatient :grumpy:
    too honest o:)
    spending lots of time in GD :uhh:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2005 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

terrible: horrible memory, these days

4. Aug 13, 2005 #3

Lisa!

Gold Member

Really? You know having a good memory is a trouble somehow esp. if it would be full of useless information. Sometimes I think my memory is full of trashes. :yuck:

5. Aug 13, 2005 #4

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

but memory is integral to learning e.g. learning from mistakes and to avoid making stupid decisions

6. Aug 13, 2005 #5

Lisa!

Gold Member

Yeah, you're right, but you know my memory keeps any kind of information. I mean even silly memories and information which's told by other people. But who knows perhaps they would be useful 1 day.

7. Aug 13, 2005 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

For some reason I have difficulty remembering people's names. Someone could tell me their name one second and then a second later I completely forget it.

It's really strange too because they could tell me all about their day and I could bring it up a month later with no problem.

8. Aug 13, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Me too! And im always afraid im gonna forget a really good friends name!

9. Aug 13, 2005 #8
    I forget everyones' names. People get offended at this... they reason that if they've known me for years, I should have learned their name at one point. Also I often forget their face too.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2005
  10. Aug 13, 2005 #9

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

On the way to a friend's house I would sometimes completely forget their name. I would really have to start thinking hard: "What was their name again? What was their name again? A...B...C...D...?"

I mean I could visually picture the person, but the name was completely blank.

Any psychologists with a theory on the name thing?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  11. Aug 13, 2005 #10
    It's extremely common with people I know in mathematics or physics. In PF as well as the real world. I have no idea why.

12. Aug 13, 2005 #11
    Laziness, Laziness,laziness, Creativity

13. Aug 13, 2005 #12
    You don't need to worry until you start forgetting your own name. :smile:

14. Aug 13, 2005 #13

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I have a terrible problem with names too. Faces, numbers, events, no prob. Just names. Has proven to be exceedingly embarassing before.

15. Aug 13, 2005 #14
    Good: Intelligent.

Bad: Too damn sexy for my own good.

16. Aug 13, 2005 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

who the hell are you?

WHO THE HELL AM I!?!??!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

17. Aug 13, 2005 #16

Lisa!

Gold Member

I agree with Archon! :rofl:
    You know I myself suddenly forget a name, but I usually remember it after awhile. But of course it usually doen't happen about people whom I meet.(I forget the name of a movie charachter or a politician for example)Someties I can't remember someone's name because I was noticing about sth else when s/he's introduced to me.
    I think everone has different way to memorize thing. For example you can find a relation btw the person appearance and his/her name. For example you meet someone whom her name is Lisa and you try to memorize her name like " Lovely Lisa" :rolleyes: ! Well perhaps this person is really lovely or on the other hand lovely could have an ironic meaning.(I mean She looks terrible :devil: )

18. Aug 13, 2005 #17

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I recognize your face but I can't remember your name: a simple explanation?. Related Articles.
    Don't ask me what they say. :redface: Alan Alda did a show about this and Alzheimer's on Scientific American Frontiers, but I don't remember much from it. You may be able to find it on the show's website if it's more your style. Edit: Here it is - http://www.pbs.org/saf/1402/

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?