Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Say Something Extremely Nice/Bad about Yourself(or everyone you want)

1. Aug 13, 2005 #1

Lisa!

Gold Member

about me:

Nice: having a good memory(esp. for men's mistakes :tongue2: )

Terrible: too impatient :grumpy:
    too honest o:)
    spending lots of time in GD :uhh:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2005 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

terrible: horrible memory, these days

4. Aug 13, 2005 #3

Lisa!

Gold Member

Really? You know having a good memory is a trouble somehow esp. if it would be full of useless information. Sometimes I think my memory is full of trashes. :yuck:

5. Aug 13, 2005 #4

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

but memory is integral to learning e.g. learning from mistakes and to avoid making stupid decisions

6. Aug 13, 2005 #5

Lisa!

Gold Member

Yeah, you're right, but you know my memory keeps any kind of information. I mean even silly memories and information which's told by other people. But who knows perhaps they would be useful 1 day.

7. Aug 13, 2005 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

For some reason I have difficulty remembering people's names. Someone could tell me their name one second and then a second later I completely forget it.

It's really strange too because they could tell me all about their day and I could bring it up a month later with no problem.

8. Aug 13, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Me too! And im always afraid im gonna forget a really good friends name!

9. Aug 13, 2005 #8
    I forget everyones' names. People get offended at this... they reason that if they've known me for years, I should have learned their name at one point. Also I often forget their face too.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2005
  10. Aug 13, 2005 #9

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

On the way to a friend's house I would sometimes completely forget their name. I would really have to start thinking hard: "What was their name again? What was their name again? A...B...C...D...?"

I mean I could visually picture the person, but the name was completely blank.

Any psychologists with a theory on the name thing?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  11. Aug 13, 2005 #10
    It's extremely common with people I know in mathematics or physics. In PF as well as the real world. I have no idea why.

12. Aug 13, 2005 #11
    Laziness, Laziness,laziness, Creativity

13. Aug 13, 2005 #12
    You don't need to worry until you start forgetting your own name. :smile:

14. Aug 13, 2005 #13

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I have a terrible problem with names too. Faces, numbers, events, no prob. Just names. Has proven to be exceedingly embarassing before.

15. Aug 13, 2005 #14
    Good: Intelligent.

Bad: Too damn sexy for my own good.

16. Aug 13, 2005 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

who the hell are you?

WHO THE HELL AM I!?!??!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

17. Aug 13, 2005 #16

Lisa!

Gold Member

I agree with Archon! :rofl:
    You know I myself suddenly forget a name, but I usually remember it after awhile. But of course it usually doen't happen about people whom I meet.(I forget the name of a movie charachter or a politician for example)Someties I can't remember someone's name because I was noticing about sth else when s/he's introduced to me.
    I think everone has different way to memorize thing. For example you can find a relation btw the person appearance and his/her name. For example you meet someone whom her name is Lisa and you try to memorize her name like " Lovely Lisa" :rolleyes: ! Well perhaps this person is really lovely or on the other hand lovely could have an ironic meaning.(I mean She looks terrible :devil: )

18. Aug 13, 2005 #17

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I recognize your face but I can't remember your name: a simple explanation?. Related Articles.
    Don't ask me what they say. :redface: Alan Alda did a show about this and Alzheimer's on Scientific American Frontiers, but I don't remember much from it. You may be able to find it on the show's website if it's more your style. Edit: Here it is - http://www.pbs.org/saf/1402/

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?