1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scalar and Vector HELP

1. Sep 25, 2011 #1
    Scalar and Vector HELP plz

A boat is travelling on a bearing of 25 degrees east of north at a speed of 5 knots ( a knot is 1.852km/hr). After travelling for 3 hours, the boat heading is changed to 180 degrees and it travels for a further 2 hours at 5 knots. What is the boat's bearing from its original position?

Someone help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2011 #2

lewando

Gold Member

Re: Scalar and Vector HELP plz

Welcome to PF. If you missed reading the rules go and do so. Basically, you have to attempt a problem and show what it is that is giving you trouble. For a problem like this, it is a good idea to draw a diagram that represents the facts of the stated problem. From there, explain what is giving you fits.

4. Sep 25, 2011 #3

oh I'm new here and also new to physics..

I've drawn the diagram but Idk what scales to use cause how they using Knots and time in hours, and they also stating the conversion from knots to km/hr. I've tried alot of assumptions but I just don't seem to get a right answer.

5. Sep 25, 2011 #4

lewando

Gold Member

Since the answer is looking for a bearing, it does not matter if your displacement is in nautical miles or kilometers [EDIT: as long as you pick one and stay consistent with your choice] . the resulting angle will be the same. Nautical miles = knots * hours. What numbers are you getting and how are you getting them?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  6. Sep 25, 2011 #5

so use time as my scale representation? This should solve my question?

7. Sep 25, 2011 #6

lewando

Gold Member

Your vector diagram should show 2 displacement vectors (please show if you can) which should be on a coordinate system with units (scale representation) of nautical miles OR km.

8. Sep 25, 2011 #7

lewando

Gold Member

I stand corrected. Since the speed of the boat is constant, you could use time as your units on your diagram.

9. Sep 25, 2011 #8

oho thanks for clearing it up for me. I got a reasonable answer which I believe is correct

A bearing of 60 degrees East of North.

Thank you oh great one.. Thank you very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook