How can I solve this problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the scalar equation of a plane that passes through the intersection of two given planes and a given point. The process involves finding the normal and a point on the plane, and then using the given point to determine the value of D in the equation ax + by+ cz + D=0. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing confusion about how to satisfy the given conditions.
SSUP21
Find the scalar equation of the plane which passes through the line intersection of planes x+y+z-4=0 and y+z-2= 0 that goes through (2,4,7) and satisfies the conditions
a) it is 2 units from the orgin
b) it is 3 units from the point a(5,-3,7)

I would really apprecaite if some toke me through the steps on how the solve the problem

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SSUP21! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Hi
and thanks for replying for this one i knew that to find a plane i needed a normal and a point
the intersection of the given planes is a vector in direction of our plane so i cross product their normals

i need another vector i had a point i needed another point so I assume that any point on the intersection of the two give planes is also on the third plane so let y = 0 and solved to find the point
then i found my second vector by doing cross product of the two point
then substituted in our given point to solve for D in equation ax + by+ cz + D=0

i have my plane but I am stuck at trying to satisfy the two conditions

Hi SSUP21! :smile:
SSUP21 said:
Hi
and thanks for replying for this one i knew that to find a plane i needed a normal and a point
the intersection of the given planes is a vector in direction of our plane so i cross product their normals

Yes, that's absolutely right. :smile:
i need another vector i had a point i needed another point so I assume that any point on the intersection of the two give planes is also on the third plane so let y = 0 and solved to find the point
then i found my second vector by doing cross product of the two point
then substituted in our given point to solve for D in equation ax + by+ cz + D=0

i have my plane but I am stuck at trying to satisfy the two conditions

mmm … I don't really follow what you're doing. :redface:

In fact, looking at the question more carefully, I don't really understand that either …
Find the scalar equation of the plane which passes through the line intersection of planes x+y+z-4=0 and y+z-2= 0 that goes through (2,4,7) and satisfies the conditions
a) it is 2 units from the orgin
b) it is 3 units from the point a(5,-3,7)

there's only one plane through that line that goes through (2,4,7), so what do a) and b) have to do with it?? :confused:

What is a scalar equation of plane?

A scalar equation of plane is an equation that represents a planar surface in three-dimensional space. It is typically written in the form Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables, and D is a constant term.

How is a scalar equation of plane different from a vector equation of plane?

A scalar equation of plane is a simplified form of a vector equation of plane, where the coefficients represent the direction of the plane's normal vector. Unlike a vector equation, a scalar equation does not include the magnitude of the normal vector or a specific point on the plane.

What information can be determined from a scalar equation of plane?

A scalar equation of plane can provide information about the orientation and location of a planar surface. The coefficients A, B, and C can be used to determine the normal vector of the plane, while the constant term D can be used to find the distance of the plane from the origin.

What are the conditions for a scalar equation of plane to represent a plane?

In order for a scalar equation to represent a plane, the coefficients A, B, and C must not all be equal to zero. This ensures that the equation is not a linear combination of the x, y, and z variables, and therefore represents a planar surface.

How can a scalar equation of plane be used in real-world applications?

Scalar equations of plane are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics to model and analyze planar surfaces. They can be used to determine the intersection of two planes, create 3D models, and solve optimization problems involving surfaces.