Solving Scalar Line Integral with Vector {\bf{u}}

In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate a line integral for a given vector function over a specified contour. The integral can be expanded using the definition of the dot product and expressed as a "normal" integral over 0 to 2 pi using the parametric equations of the contour. The vector function is also noted to be radially directed and perpendicular to the contour, which allows for the integral to be simplified to 0 by inspection.
jimmy42
I have the vector:

[tex]{\bf{u}}(x,y) = \frac{{x{\bf{i}} + y{\bf{j}}}}{{{x^2} + {y^2}}}[/tex]

Where:

[tex]x = a\cos t[/tex] [tex]y = a\sin t[/tex]

I know I need to use the equation

[tex]\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {{\bf{u}} \cdot d{\bf{r}}} [/tex]

And the answer is

[tex]\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {} ((a\cos t/{a^2})( - a\sin t) + (a\sin t/{a^2})(a\cos t)dt = 0[/tex]

The trouble I have is finding that [tex]{d{\bf{r}}}[/tex] How is that done? Can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by actually stating the question correctly.

For the given vector function [itex]{\bf u}(x,y)[/itex], evaluate the line integral,

[tex]I = ~_\mathbb{C} \!\!\! \int {\bf u} \cdot d {\bf r} [/tex]

Where [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] is a contour given parametrically by {[itex]x = a\cos t[/itex], [itex]y = a\sin t[/itex] : [itex]t = 0 \ldots 2\pi[/itex]}.

Last edited:
[itex]d {\bf r}[/itex] is the vector differential [itex]<dx, dy>[/itex]. So, using nothing but the definition of the dot product, the integral can be expanded as:

[tex]I = ~_\mathbb{C} \!\!\! \int u_x(x,y) \, dx + u_y(x,y) dy \, [/tex]

At this point it is still a line integral over a specified contour, but we can use the parametric equations of the contour to express it as a "normal" integral over 0 to 2 pi. That is:

[tex]I = \int_0^{2 \pi} \left( u_x(t) \frac{dx}{dt} + u_y(t) \frac{dy}{dt} \right) \, dt [/tex]

Does that help?

BTW. There's one other thing that you should notice about this question. It obvious that the vector function, [itex] x{\bf \, i} + y{\bf \, j}[/itex], is radially directed, and therefore at every point is perpendicular to the given contour. So we could actually state that the integral is zero by inspection.

At this point however I'd guess that your teacher doesn't want you to do it that way. :smile:

Thanks uart, that helps a lot. I was thinking along those lines but couldn't make it fit. What about that

[tex]{x^2}[/tex]

How does that become?

[tex]{a^2}[/tex]

Thanks.

What "[itex]x^2[/itex]" are you talking about? The only [itex]x^2[/itex] in your integral is part of [itex]x^2+ y^2[/itex]. On the circle of radius a, [itex]x^2+ y^2=a^2cos^2(t)+ a^2 sin^2 t= a^2(cos^2(t)+ sin^2(t))= a^2[/itex].

jimmy42 said:
[tex]{x^2}[/tex]

How does that become?

[tex]{a^2}[/tex]

It doesn't. However, [itex]x^2 + y^2[/itex] does become [itex]a^2[/itex]. That's a simple trig identity, can you see it?

Did you find dr yet? Did you take the dot product?

Yes thanks uart, I see how it's all working now.

1. What is a scalar line integral with vector {\bf{u}}?

A scalar line integral with vector {\bf{u}} is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the work done by a vector field {\bf{u}} along a given path. It involves finding the dot product of the vector field {\bf{u}} and the tangent vector of the path, and integrating this quantity over the given path.

2. How is a scalar line integral with vector {\bf{u}} different from a regular line integral?

A scalar line integral with vector {\bf{u}} is different from a regular line integral in that it involves not just a scalar function, but also a vector field {\bf{u}}. This means that the resulting value is a scalar quantity, whereas a regular line integral results in a vector quantity.

3. What is the purpose of solving a scalar line integral with vector {\bf{u}}?

The purpose of solving a scalar line integral with vector {\bf{u}} is to calculate the work done by a vector field {\bf{u}} along a given path. This can be useful in physics and engineering, where understanding the work done by a force is important in analyzing the behavior of systems.

4. What are some real-world applications of solving scalar line integrals with vector {\bf{u}}?

Solving scalar line integrals with vector {\bf{u}} has many real-world applications, such as calculating the work done by electric or magnetic fields on charged particles, determining the force exerted by a fluid on a moving object, and finding the potential energy of a system.

5. What are some techniques for solving scalar line integrals with vector {\bf{u}}?

There are several techniques for solving scalar line integrals with vector {\bf{u}}, including using the fundamental theorem of calculus, parameterizing the path of integration, and using properties of the vector field {\bf{u}}. It may also be helpful to break the path into smaller segments and integrate over each segment separately.