1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scalar multiplying a set?

1. Dec 5, 2012 #1
    Scalar multiplying a set??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let A and B be two finite non-empty sets such that A [itex]\subset[/itex] B and n({C : C [itex]\subset[/itex] B\A}) = 128. Then what is the value of n(B) - n(A)?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I actually got to 7 by assuming that n was multiplying the cardinality of C, but I am not sure if that is what happens. What does it mean to have a scalar multiplying a set? Or is n not a scalar in this case?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Scalar multiplying a set??

I don't read this as "n times a set" but as "the number of elements in set <whatever>". Check your book or notes for exactly what this notation means.

4. Dec 5, 2012 #3

That actually makes a lot of sense! I checked my book and n(A) is a notation for the cardinality of A. But the funny thing is that the answer would still be 7, even though I carried the notation around as if it were a multiplication.

If C = P(B\A) where P(B/A) is the power set of B\A. Then n(C : {C [itex]\subset[/itex] A\B}) = P(B\A) = 2n(B\A) = 128 = 27.

Therefore n(B\A) = 7.

n(B\A) = n(B) - n(A) if A [itex]\subset[/itex] B.

Is that still correct?

5. Dec 5, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it is. I'm not sure how you got it by misunderstanding the notation, but ok.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook