1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scalar or vector?

1. Aug 17, 2006 #1

I've been wondering if a heightfield is a scalar or a vector, and how many dimensions in space it has.

Sure, if it's a scalar it only has a magnitude, and as a vector magnitude and direction but I cannot see either, or keep them apart in this case. Density or gravityacceleration are easier I guess.

Dimensions: 2 would work out: h=(x,y) but would 1d and 3d possible as well?
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2006 #2
    Hello Hexa,

in the case of h=h(x,y) you get for each set of values x and y a corresponding height h, which is a scalar. Or to put it another way: For every point on the x-y-surface you get a certain height h. So alltogether the function describes a 2-Dimensional surface in a 3-Dimensional space.

I hope that was helpful for you.
  4. Aug 18, 2006 #3
    Hi David,

that was also my intuition. I got confused by an old exam question about visualising such heightfield as vectorfield:confused: and could not find a direction.

Thanks a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?