Solved: Computing Potential Inside a Resistor Filled with Inhomogeneous Material

In summary: I tried to apply the boundary conditions at the surface(r=a), E field is in the opposite direction of V, in the +z direction. So there's only transverse component. No normal component. Hence no surface charge. Is this right?No, that's not right. You would need appropriate boundary conditions, which you don't have.
likephysics
π²³ ∞ ° → ~ µ ρ σ τ ω ∑ … √ ∫ ≤ ≥ ± ∃ · θ φ ψ Ω α β γ δ ∂ ∆ ∇ ε λ Λ Γ ô

Homework Statement

Consider the cylindrical in free space as shown below. The resistor has diameter 2a, length l, is filled with a inhomogeneous material with a z dependent electrical conductivity σ(z) and is capped by 2 thin disks of materials with infinite conductivity. A static voltage φ0 is applied to the 2 disks with a battery.
Show that the potential inside the battery is given by
φ (z)= ∫ (C1/σ(z)) dz+ C2

C1,C2 are constants

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to use poisson's equation in cylindrical coordinates.
But I am not sure, how to get the right hand side

The potential varies only along Z and is constant along r and φ
Therefore, poissons eqn will reduce to
d2(φ)/dz2 = -ρ/ε

I need σ(z) on the right hand side, but I have ρ/ε. How do I arrive at σ(z)?

Attachments

• res.jpg
    res.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 374
Physics news on Phys.org
Poisson's Equation is not the way to go. The cylinder is neutral (ρ=0) as current I flows through it.

Slice the cylinder up like salami and consider a single slice. It has thickness dz, conductivity σ(z), area A and potential difference dV across it. Find an expression for the current I through it. Note that this current is the same for all the slices, i.e. the expression you have is a constant. Call that constant C1. You get my drift?

Kuruman, why is ρ=0. Can you explain please.
Also, if ρ=0 then I can use Laplace equation.

Since kuruman not likely to post, I think you should consider his suggestion. Find dV for a crosssection and add them up with the integral.

There's no reason I can think of to look for pattern fitting to Laplace's equation. φ(z) = ∫(C1/σ(z))dz + C2 is not second order in anything. The voltage is Static, for one. The C1 and C2 in the equation are constants, not capacitance if that's what's causing confusion.

oh,

dv = E.dz

But E = J/σ(z)

v = ∫J/σ(z) dz + C2

Here, C1=J

This is it?
I didn't mean to imply C1,C2 as capacitance. I know they are constants. I thought you integrate once, you get C1 and do it again, you get C2.

likephysics said:
Kuruman, why is ρ=0. Can you explain please.

I think you're supposed to assume that the current density inside the battery is uniform.That means that at any given time, the amount of charge leaving some region in the conductor will be the same as the amount of current entering the region. Therefor, there will be no charge buildup and you can assume the charge density is zero.[/quote]

Also, if ρ=0 then I can use Laplace equation.

You would need appropriate boundary conditions, which you don't have.

likephysics said:
This is it?
Not really. The resistance of a slice is

R = dz/σA (A = cross sectional area)

I = dV/R = σA (dV/dz) = constant

Take it from here. It's a generalized "resistors in series" problem.

Last edited:
Ok. I get it now.
There's another question in the same problem.
If σ is constant, determine potential φ inside the resistor, current density J, surface and volume charge densities.
How do I find the surface and volume charge densities?
I thought they were zero.
I tried to apply the boundary conditions at the surface(r=a), E field is in the opposite direction of V, in the +z direction. So there's only transverse component. No normal component. Hence no surface charge. Is this right?
I have no idea how to find the volume charge density. QxVolume of the cylinder?

likephysics said:
I have no idea how to find the volume charge density. QxVolume of the cylinder?
Did you do the integral to find V(z)? What does Poisson's Equation say?

Well, I get C1z+C2=ρ/ε

likephysics said:
Well, I get C1z+C2=ρ/ε
This is not correct. How exactly did you get the left side of the equation? Please show your work.

What is the purpose of computing potential inside a resistor filled with inhomogeneous material?

The purpose of computing potential inside a resistor filled with inhomogeneous material is to understand and analyze the behavior of electric fields and current flow within the resistor. This information is crucial in designing and optimizing electronic circuits and systems.

What is the definition of inhomogeneous material?

Inhomogeneous material refers to a substance that does not have uniform physical and/or chemical properties throughout its structure. This can include variations in density, composition, or other characteristics.

How is potential computed in a resistor filled with inhomogeneous material?

The potential inside a resistor filled with inhomogeneous material is computed using mathematical equations and models based on the properties of the material and the geometry of the resistor. This can include techniques such as finite element analysis or numerical methods.

What factors can affect the potential inside a resistor filled with inhomogeneous material?

The potential inside a resistor filled with inhomogeneous material can be affected by various factors, including the type and distribution of the inhomogeneities in the material, the shape and size of the resistor, and the external electric fields and boundary conditions.

What are some real-world applications of computing potential inside a resistor filled with inhomogeneous material?

Computing potential inside a resistor filled with inhomogeneous material has various applications in the fields of electronics, telecommunications, and materials science. It can be used to optimize the performance of electronic circuits, design efficient antennas and sensors, and study the behavior of materials under different electric fields.