Scalars vs Vectors: Angular Displacement, Speed, Flux, Potential & More

In summary: So it's possible that you are confusing what is meant by a scalar vs. a vector. Yes, you can verify what I am saying.
tasnim rahman

Homework Statement

Angular displacement, angular speed, , magnetic flux, electric potential, E.M.F., P.D., gravitational potential, stress,inductance. Which are the scalars and vectors?

Homework Equations

Scalars are quantities, which have magnitude only, whereas vectors have both magnitude and directions.

The Attempt at a Solution

I personally think, angular speed, electric potential, P.D, stress are scalars, but confused about others.

Physics news on Phys.org
tasnim rahman said:

Homework Statement

Angular displacement, angular speed, , magnetic flux, electric potential, E.M.F., P.D., gravitational potential, stress,inductance. Which are the scalars and vectors?

Homework Equations

Scalars are quantities, which have magnitude only, whereas vectors have both magnitude and directions.

The Attempt at a Solution

I personally think, angular speed, electric potential, P.D, stress are scalars, but confused about others.

(Thread moved from Advanced Physics to Intro Physics)

Start with Angular Displacement -- does it have a direction?

Well linear displacement has direction, so is not angular displacement also supposed to have direction. Linear speed does not have direction, so angular speed should also not have direction. Magnetic flux density is a vector, so magnetic flux is also supposed to be a vector. E.M.F. talks about electromotive force, and force is a vector, but E.M.F. defines energy, so I am confused. Direction of P.D. is considered in alternating currents, so it could be a vector. Gravitational and electric field strength is a vector, but what about gravitational and electric potential. Unit of stress is pascal, plus it is irrelevant of direction, therefore it is scalar. Inductance and capacitance are scalars as direction is not needed to describe them. Someone help quick, please.

Last edited:
tasnim rahman said:
Well linear displacement has direction, so is not angular displacement also supposed to have direction. Linear speed does not have direction, so angular speed should also not have direction. Magnetic flux density is a vector, so magnetic flux is also supposed to be a vector. E.M.F. talks about electromotive force, and force is a vector, but E.M.F. defines energy, so I am confused. Direction of P.D. is considered in alternating currents, so it could be a vector. Gravitational and electric field strength is a vector, but what about gravitational and electric potential. Unit of stress is pascal, plus it is irrelevant of direction, therefore it is scalar. Inductance and capacitance are scalars as direction is not needed to describe them. Someone help quick, please.

Most of that is correct. Force may be a vector, but EMF is just a quantity in most cases. Look at the equations that define the EMF -- do they show EMF as a vector quantity?

What is P.D.?

No. It is defined more in terms of energy, so it is a scalar. P.D. is the potential difference that exists between any two points, at different potentials. Conventional current flows from higher positive potential to lower positive potential, is not that correct. Is it such that in a.c. the direction of E.M.F. only changes but every time the potential difference remains same, whatever the direction of E.M.F., it must be a scalar. Are gravitational and electric potentials vectors?

Speeds and voltages are scalars. I'm confused by the wording about "gravitational and electric potentials" though. Potential energy is a scalar. But the gradient of each is a vector. What is the exact problem wording?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does gradient mean gravitational field strength and electric field strength respectively? I found proof that this was a scalar, and was defined as work done in bringing unit mass or unit charge from infinity to a point in a uniform gravitational and electric field. Let's get this straight, angular displacement, magnetic flux, and other quantities like angular momentum, luminous flux, electric current are vectors. And those as gravitational potential, electric potential, stress, viscosity, illuminance, inductance and capacitance are scalars. Could you verify this? Thanks very much for your constant help berkeman.

Last edited:
Could someone help me here...fast?

tasnim rahman said:
Does gradient mean gravitational field strength and electric field strength respectively? I found proof that this was a scalar, and was defined as work done in bringing unit mass or unit charge from infinity to a point in a uniform gravitational and electric field.

No, a taking the gradient of a potential field results in a vector. If you look up the definition of the gradient, you will find a vector definition in terms of unit vectors and partial derivatives in the directions of those unit vectors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradient

tasnim rahman said:
Lets get this straight, angular displacement, magnetic flux, and other quantities like angular momentum, luminous flux, electric current are vectors. And those as gravitational potential, electric potential, stress, viscosity, illuminance, inductance and capacitance are scalars. Could you verify this? Thanks very much for your constant help berkeman.

I'm seeing a mix in what you are stating. Part of the problem may be a language issue, and an issue with definitions. With flux, for example, you will generally have a magnitude, and also a direction. The flux points in some direction, after all. But you can talk about the magnitude of the flux without talking about the direction in some cases -- like when using a light meter to measure luminous flux.

I think you need to go back to the original question, and carefully list each separate thing in a rigerous way. Give an example equation for each quantity, and show how it is used. Once you do that, you should be able to say whether each has a direction associated with it.

BTW, a better term for flux would be flux density. Look at the definition of the Electric Flux Density vector D, for example.

That would be changing the question though. Flux and flux density are different quantities, like mass and mass density.

vela said:
That would be changing the question though. Flux and flux density are different quantities, like mass and mass density.

Agreed. Are the terms in the OP's first post precise enough that he can come up with unequivocal answers? A term like "stress" can mean multiple things, it seems to me (but I could be wrong).

I think overall the wording is precise enough for unambiguous answers except, as you noted, for stress.

vela said:
Flux is calculated as (flux density*area). So whether it is supposed to have direction or not, is hard to judge.

What's the general formula for flux?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flux"

Here flux is defined as both as scalar and vector, in terms of usage. Is not the general formula of flux, flux density(of a particular quantity)*area?

berkeman said:
No, a taking the gradient of a potential field results in a vector. If you look up the definition of the gradient, you will find a vector definition in terms of unit vectors and partial derivatives in the directions of those unit vectors.

Yes, therefore gravitational and electric field strengths are vectors.

vela said:
I think overall the wording is precise enough for unambiguous answers except, as you noted, for stress.

Stress is supposed to be scalar, because no matter what the direction of force the stress applied in the substance is the same, right?

Moreover, is not Pascal a scalar? I maybe wrong.

tasnim rahman said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flux"

Here flux is defined as both as scalar and vector, in terms of usage. Is not the general formula of flux, flux density(of a particular quantity)*area?
Well, you need to be a bit more precise. What type of multiplication are you referring to here? Is it scalar multiplication, the dot product, the cross product, etc.?
Moreover, is not Pascal a scalar? I maybe wrong.
Units don't tell you anything. A force vector, for example, has units of Newtons, but so does its magnitude, which is a scalar.

What is the difference between scalars and vectors?

Scalars are quantities that have only magnitude, such as temperature or mass. Vectors are quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force.

What is angular displacement?

Angular displacement is a measure of how much an object has rotated or turned from a starting point. It is usually measured in radians or degrees.

How is speed different from velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that measures how fast an object is moving without regard to direction. Velocity is a vector quantity that measures how fast an object is moving in a specific direction.

What is flux?

Flux is a measure of the flow of a quantity through a surface. It can refer to the flow of particles, energy, or any other physical quantity.

What is potential?

Potential is a measure of the potential energy of a system per unit of charge. In physics, it is often used to describe the potential energy of a charged particle in an electric or magnetic field.