1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scale and force concept

1. Dec 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I just have a general question regarding scales and forces. I came across a question that when a boy jumps on his scale, the weight shown is actually greater than his actual weight. I have a hard time picturing this because when he jumps, he isn't actually on the scale anymore, so wouldn't the weight come down??

I understand the elevator questions, but just not this concept.

For reference, go to this link and it's #4.19 http://www.physics.oregonstate.edu/~tgiebult/COURSES/ph221H/221HCh04.pdf

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2013 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not after he leaves the scale that the reading shown increases. It's during the push off, when he is crouched and preparing to jump by pushing down on the scale using his leg muscles. What a scale actually measures is the normal force on it. Usually this is equal to your weight, but if you are pushing down harder than that, it will be larger.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted