1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scale/elevator question

1. Apr 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A person stands on a scale in a elevator at rest. The scale reads 900N.
    1) what is the persons mass
    2) the elevator accelerates up at 2.5m/s^2. What does the scale read now ?
    3)The elevator then continues to move upwards with a steady speed of 4m/s for 5 seconds. What does the scale read during this period
    4)the elevator now decelerates at 1.8m/s^2 until it reaches zero velocity. What does the scale read during this period

2. Relevant equations : F=ma and W=mg

3. The attempt at a solution
    1) rearrange w=mg for m = 900/9.81 = 91.7kg

2) a= 9.81+2.5 = 12.31 so f=ma .... f=91.7*12.31 = 1128.8N

3) I AM COMPLETELY STUCK ON THIS PART ? -if it is moving upwards at 4m/s for 5 seconds. Then there would be no acceleration as a=0
    so the scale would read the same 1128 N
    would i need to show any working out instead of w=mg = 91.7* 9.8 ?

4) COMPLETELY STUCK - I UNDERSTAND A= -1.8M/S^2 as it is decelerating

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2015 #2
    Question 3) if it is moving upwards at 4m/s for 5 seconds. Then there would be no acceleration as a=0

so the scale would read the same 1128 N

would i need to show any working out instead of w=mg = 91.7* 9.8

4. Apr 6, 2015 #3
    Do you draw a free body diagram and sum your forces? That would make it considerably simpler. Your solutions for 1 and 2 are indeed correct. However, I cannot think of a physics teacher that would not take off points on a test for the lack of free body diagram and summing of forces.

5. Apr 6, 2015 #4
    how would i draw a free body diagram and sum forces ? is there any tutorial or website i could reference off ?

6. Apr 6, 2015 #5
    http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/newtlaws/U2l2d.cfm might help. And here is a decent video . Make sure you understand Newton's three laws. The mathematics are resultant from his postulations about motion. I would recommend taking an introductory physics course from a certified teacher, honestly. There are some free textbooks here on PF, but most of them seem to deal with more advanced topics. It's worth a look though.

7. Apr 6, 2015 #6
    Really, that video is hardly a substitute for a good lecture.

8. Apr 6, 2015 #7
    thanks for your help. i am understanding the concepts slowly. Where do i search on this website for textbooks. Would you know of any textbook that explains these concepts but are not to technical to understand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted