Scale on Top of Rollercoaster

In summary, you took a bathroom scale onto a stand-up rollercoaster and measured a reading of 65 kg before the ride started. At the top of the first loop, your scale read 77 kg and you estimated a radius of 15 m for the loop. Using the equations for centripetal force and acceleration, you were able to calculate a speed of approximately 17.9 m/s at the top of the loop.
doug1

Homework Statement

You take a bathroom scale onto a stand-up rollercoaster (the riders are always in a standing position). Before the ride
starts, you stand on the scale and note that it reads 65 kg. The ride starts and at the top of the first loop you are upsidedown and your scale reads 77 kg. You estimate that the loop has a radius of 15 m. How fast were you going at the top
of the loop?

Homework Equations

Fn = reading of scale

Fg = mg

ac = v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a FBD where the normal force and the force of gravity both point downwards towards the centre of the circle. The centripetal force equals the sum of the normal force and the force of gravity:

Fc = Fn + Fg

The problem is that I don't know what Fn is. Is it (77kg)(9.8N/kg)? If this is the case, I would then do:

Fc = (77kg)(9.8N/kg) + (9.8)(65)

I would then divide this value by 65 to get the centripetal acceleration (21.4 m/s^2).

I would then plug 21.4 m/s^2 into the equation ac = v^2/r and solve for v (about 17.9 m/s)

Physics news on Phys.org
doug1 said:

Homework Statement

You take a bathroom scale onto a stand-up rollercoaster (the riders are always in a standing position). Before the ride
starts, you stand on the scale and note that it reads 65 kg. The ride starts and at the top of the first loop you are upsidedown and your scale reads 77 kg. You estimate that the loop has a radius of 15 m. How fast were you going at the top
of the loop?

Homework Equations

Fn = reading of scale

Fg = mg

ac = v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a FBD where the normal force and the force of gravity both point downwards towards the centre of the circle. The centripetal force equals the sum of the normal force and the force of gravity:

Fc = Fn + Fg

The problem is that I don't know what Fn is. Is it (77kg)(9.8N/kg)?
Yes, it is. :approve:

Bathroom scales are good at measuring the normal force on a level surface (regarding the normal force acting on objects standing on the scale). That's pretty much all they're designed to do. :smile:

It's a bit tricky here only because the particular bathroom scale you are working with gives its measurement in units of kilograms -- a measure of mass, not force. The bathroom scale assumes (correctly or not) that the total acceleration has magnitude g (i.e. 9.8 m/s2). So you are correct when you equate Fn = (77 [kg])(9.8 [N/kg]).
If this is the case, I would then do:

Fc = (77kg)(9.8N/kg) + (9.8)(65)

I would then divide this value by 65 to get the centripetal acceleration (21.4 m/s^2).

I would then plug 21.4 m/s^2 into the equation ac = v^2/r and solve for v (about 17.9 m/s)
That looks right to me.* :smile:

*(There are some assumptions being made such that the radius of the loop is in regard to your own center of gravity as you move around the loop [which is not quite the radius of the track], and g = 9.8 N/kg. And there's also an assumption that the top plate of the bathroom scale has negligible mass. But regardless of all that, you're on the right track. :approve:)

1. What causes scale to build up on top of a rollercoaster?

The most common cause of scale on top of a rollercoaster is the accumulation of minerals from water. As rain and condensation fall on the coaster, the water carries small amounts of minerals which can build up over time.

2. Is scale on top of a rollercoaster dangerous?

In most cases, scale on top of a rollercoaster is not dangerous. However, it can be unsightly and may affect the appearance and performance of the coaster. If left untreated, it could potentially lead to corrosion or damage to the rollercoaster.

3. How can scale on top of a rollercoaster be removed?

Scale can be removed by using a specialized cleaning solution that is safe for use on metal surfaces. The solution will dissolve and remove the mineral deposits without damaging the coaster. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions when using the cleaning solution.

4. Can scale on top of a rollercoaster be prevented?

There are some preventative measures that can be taken to reduce the buildup of scale on top of a rollercoaster. These include using a water softener, regularly cleaning and maintaining the coaster, and treating the surface with a protective coating to prevent mineral deposits from adhering.

5. Will removing scale affect the performance of the rollercoaster?

No, removing scale from the top of a rollercoaster should not affect its performance. However, it is important to carefully follow the cleaning instructions and use the appropriate cleaning solution to avoid damaging the coaster. Regular maintenance and cleaning can actually improve the performance and longevity of the coaster.