Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scale Relativity

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Extension of Einstein's principle of relativity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale_relativity

How well known is this idea, and what's its status?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2008 #2
    Looking through Notalle's papers, I feel that this a combination of mathematical handwaving and lion hunting. Far too many of the arguments depend upon a contrived combination of syncretic analysis of algebraic structure plus a derived statistical fit. This leads me to believe that this is a form of algebraic numerology based upon a superficial numerical quoitient geometric relationship between e and pi as is described by considering the curlicue thermodynamics of the spiral logarithm.

I am not a professional theoretical physicist, but I personally strongly suspect that nature would deliberately avoid such a scheme as it appears to be littered with potential imperfection sensitivity and instability. Surely, the reason why we have a variety of dynamics each associated with a particular range, is to safeguard the physics of the universe and what it does.

4. Mar 1, 2008 #3

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

please be more specific. can you point out any particular argument that does this?

5. Mar 2, 2008 #4
    I genuinely hope that the Wikipedia article presents an incorrect picture of the idea. The idea of an invariant length scale certainly has some potential, but the "motivation" that's given in the Wikipedia article is pure crackpottery!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?