Scaling 2D graphs in Mathematica

In summary, to scale a 2D graph in Mathematica, you can use the ScalingFunctions option in the Plot or ListPlot functions. This option allows you to specify a scaling function for the x-axis, y-axis, or both, and can be combined with the PlotRange option for further customization. Additionally, you can scale a graph with a logarithmic axis by using the ScalingFunctions option with a specified base. To resize a graph, you can use the ImageSize option with the AspectRatio option for maintaining the aspect ratio. It is also possible to scale a specific part of a graph by using the PlotRange option, which can be combined with the ScalingFunctions option for further customization. Finally, the scaling of a graph can be
TSN79
Using Mathematica, does anyone know how to scale the axis equally in 2D graphs so that the grid formes perfect squares?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would do it by changing the AspectRatio (I think it's called that (look it up with Options[Plot])) from 1/GoldenRatio to 1 and maybe also use the PlotRange (or PlotRegion I can never remeber which is which). This will certanely help, but there might also be other more elegent solutions I don't know about.

Yes, there is a way to scale the axis equally in 2D graphs in Mathematica so that the grid forms perfect squares. This can be achieved by using the ScalingFunctions option in the Plot or ListPlot functions. The ScalingFunctions option allows you to specify functions that will be applied to the x and y coordinates of the graph, allowing you to customize the scaling of the axis.

To scale the axis equally, you can use the function ScalingFunctions -> {Identity, Identity}. This will apply the identity function to both the x and y coordinates, resulting in equal scaling on both axes. You can also use other scaling functions such as Log or Sqrt to achieve different scaling effects.

Additionally, you can use the AspectRatio option to ensure that the resulting graph has a square aspect ratio, creating perfect squares in the grid.

An example of using these options to scale 2D graphs can be seen below:

Plot[x^2, {x, 0, 10}, ScalingFunctions -> {Identity, Identity}, AspectRatio -> 1]

This will result in a graph with equal scaling on both axes and a square aspect ratio. I hope this helps!

1. How do I scale a 2D graph in Mathematica?

To scale a 2D graph in Mathematica, you can use the ScalingFunctions option in the Plot or ListPlot functions. This option allows you to specify a scaling function for the x-axis, y-axis, or both. You can also use the ScalingFunctions option in combination with the PlotRange option to further customize the scaling of your graph.

2. Can I scale a graph with a logarithmic axis in Mathematica?

Yes, you can scale a graph with a logarithmic axis in Mathematica by using the ScalingFunctions option. For example, to create a log-scaled x-axis, you can use the ScalingFunctions -> "Log" option in the Plot function. You can also specify a base for the logarithmic scaling by using the ScalingFunctions -> {"Log", base} option.

3. How can I resize a graph in Mathematica?

To resize a graph in Mathematica, you can use the ImageSize option in the Plot or ListPlot functions. This option allows you to specify the width and height of the graph in pixels. You can also use the ImageSize option in combination with the AspectRatio option to maintain the aspect ratio of the graph when resizing.

4. Is it possible to scale a specific part of a graph in Mathematica?

Yes, it is possible to scale a specific part of a graph in Mathematica by using the PlotRange option. This option allows you to specify the range of values for the x-axis and y-axis that will be displayed in the graph. You can also use the PlotRange option in combination with the ScalingFunctions option to further customize the scaling of the specific part of the graph.

5. Can I animate the scaling of a graph in Mathematica?

Yes, you can animate the scaling of a graph in Mathematica by using the Manipulate function. This function allows you to create interactive animations by changing the values of variables. You can use the Manipulate function to change the scaling functions or the plot range of a graph, thus animating the scaling of the graph.