Scaling And Reordering of Jacobian Free GMRES

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation is about the implementation of a Jacobian-Free version of the GMRES algorithm with scaling and reordering techniques. The person is facing convergence issues with the inner GMRES iterations and has doubts about their formulation of the Jacobian-vector product for scaled equations. They are seeking advice on how to improve their implementation and validate their equations with established references. There is also a question about whether or not they should scale the residual vector.
metu_aee
Hello guys,

I have to code Jacobian Free version of GMRES with scaling and reordering algorithms separately. But I have serious problems about the convergence of inner gmres iterations and I have doubts on my formulation about jacobian-vector product for scaled equations since its bookkeeping gets harder.
Please notice me if the following is wrong; (For simplicity let's forget reordering now)
For row(S1) and column(S2) scalings of right preconditioned jacobian-vector product;

(1) (S1*A*S2) * (S1*M*S2)^-1 * (S1*v) = S1 * [F(Q+eps*(S1*M*S2)^-1 * (S1*v)) - F(Q)]/eps

where eps is perturbation epsilon, v is search direction, F(Q) is the function, M is right preconditioner matrix and A is jacobian matrix. Notation is similar to Yousef Saad's notation. I'm pretty sure about my formulation and application on code is right. But I'm not sure if I have to scale my residual vector. If answer is yes, how? Can someone share good references,

Thank you all.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question and the details of your work so far. From what I understand, you are trying to implement a Jacobian-Free version of the GMRES algorithm with scaling and reordering techniques. However, you are facing convergence issues with the inner GMRES iterations and are unsure about the formulation of the Jacobian-vector product for scaled equations.

Firstly, I would suggest checking your implementation of the scaling and reordering algorithms. It is possible that there may be some errors in the code that are affecting the convergence of the inner GMRES iterations. You could also try implementing simpler versions of the algorithm to test for convergence and then gradually adding in the scaling and reordering techniques.

Regarding your formulation, it is always good to double-check and validate your equations with established references. I would recommend looking into papers or books by Yousef Saad, as you have mentioned in your post. You could also refer to other sources such as the SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing or the Journal of Computational Physics for relevant articles and references.

In terms of scaling the residual vector, it would depend on the specific problem you are working on. Generally, it is not necessary to scale the residual vector. However, if you are working with a particularly ill-conditioned problem, scaling the residual vector could help improve the convergence of the algorithm. Again, I would suggest consulting relevant references for more information on this.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best with your work. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.

1. What is the purpose of scaling and reordering in Jacobian-Free GMRES?

Scaling and reordering in Jacobian-Free GMRES is used to improve the convergence rate of the iterative method. It involves manipulating the system of equations to reduce the condition number and improve the conditioning of the matrix, making it easier to solve.

2. How does scaling and reordering affect the accuracy of Jacobian-Free GMRES?

Scaling and reordering can improve the accuracy of Jacobian-Free GMRES by reducing the error caused by ill-conditioned matrices. This can lead to a more accurate solution and faster convergence.

3. What are some common techniques used for scaling and reordering in Jacobian-Free GMRES?

Some common techniques for scaling and reordering include diagonal scaling, row and column scaling, and reordering based on matrix properties such as sparsity patterns or block structure. Other methods, such as preconditioning, can also be used to improve the conditioning of the matrix.

4. Is scaling and reordering necessary for all types of matrices in Jacobian-Free GMRES?

No, scaling and reordering may not be necessary for all types of matrices. It depends on the properties of the matrix and the specific problem being solved. In some cases, the matrix may already be well-conditioned, and scaling and reordering may not be needed.

5. How does scaling and reordering compare to other methods for improving the convergence rate of Jacobian-Free GMRES?

Scaling and reordering is just one of many methods that can be used to improve the convergence rate of Jacobian-Free GMRES. Other methods, such as preconditioning or using a different iterative method, may also be effective. The best approach will depend on the specific problem and matrix being solved.