1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scaling of a quantum state

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to quantum mechanics, so bear with me o:)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm not sure if scaling is the right word here, but my problem is about the absolut value of a quantum mechanics state to be one. I have the state [tex] | \phi>[/tex] which is a linear combination of the states [tex] |+>[/tex] and [tex] |->[/tex]. The first task is about scaling my phi.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know [tex] | \phi> = \lambda_1 |+> + \lambda_2 |->[/tex] whereas the lambdas are complex numbers.

Afterwards I used the definition of the scalar product to get the norm.
    [tex] <\phi|\phi> = (\lambda_{1}' <+| + \lambda_{2}'<-|)(\lambda_1 |+> + \lambda_2 |->) [/tex]

lambda' is the complex conjugated
    If I solve this I get an expression like : sqrt(a+b) wheres my a equals the realpart of my lambdas1 and b equals the real part of my lambdas2

Is that solution right or totally wrong?

Thanks for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "If I solve this I get an expression like : sqrt(a+b) " What are you saying sqrt(a+b) should equal?

Anyway, I think the imaginary parts of each λ will be just as important as the real parts.

Note ##(\lambda_{1}' <+| + \lambda_{2}'<-|)(\lambda_1 |+> + \lambda_2 |->)## will expand to

##\lambda_{1}'\lambda_{1} <+| +> \;+ \;\lambda_{1}'\lambda_{2}<+|-> \;+ \; \lambda_{2}'\lambda_{1}<-|+> \;+ \;\lambda_{2}'\lambda_{2}<-|->##

Try to simplify this.

4. Oct 24, 2012 #3
    first of all: thanks for the help

Is my attempt at a solution even right? I'm uncertain if that's the right approach.

Yes, I had the expression you mentioned already, where I think I can say the following:

<+|+> and <-|-> equals 1 and <+|-> equals zero

And while I'm writing this down. I realised I forgot to say in my beginning post that + and - are orthonormal quantum states :/. Sorry about that.

edit: I got to the point where I have the followng left:
    [tex] <\phi|\phi> = \lambda_{1}'\lambda_{1} +\lambda_{2}'\lambda_{2}[/tex]

And a complex number times its conjugated version gives me a real part only

5. Oct 24, 2012 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks good. Yes, a complex number times it's conjugate gives a real number in the sense that if z = a + ib then z'z = a^2 + b^2, which includes both the real and imaginary parts of z. (I thought you might have been saying that only the real part of z would contribute to z'z.)

When you talk about "scaling" ##|\phi>##, I am guessing you are talking about what is usually called "normalizing" ##|\phi>##. So, you want to find a number, ##A##, such that if you multiply ##|\phi>## by ##A##, the resultant state vector has a norm of 1. That is, if you let ##|\psi> = A|\phi>## then ##<\psi|\psi> = 1##.

6. Oct 25, 2012 #5
    yes, normalizing is the word I'm looking for. I'm not a native speaker and my translation program didn't give me "to normalize" :) .

So, my attempt is right?

the normalized vector would then be:

[tex] \frac {1}{\lambda_1' \lambda_1 \lambda_2' \lambda_2} \mid \phi \rangle[/tex]

Is that correct?

Furthermore I want to calculate the possibility of |+>. I've done it with

[tex] p_n = \frac {|a_n|^2} {\sum |a_n|^2}[/tex]

where my a_n's are the coefficients.
    So finally I'd get

[tex] p_+=\frac {|\lambda_1|^2}{|\lambda_1|^2+|\lambda_2|^2}[/tex]

is that correct?

Thanks for the help

7. Oct 25, 2012 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's not quite correct. You want to find ##A## such that ##A|\phi>## is normalized. Which means

##<\phi|A'A|\phi> = A'A<\phi|\phi> = 1##. So, ##A'A = \frac{1}{<\phi|\phi>}## You are free to choose ##A## to be a real number, so you can choose ##A^2= \frac{1}{<\phi|\phi>}##
    That's correct.

8. Oct 25, 2012 #7
    Hm I don't understand that.

Let's take a look at "normal" vectors. When I want to normalize a vector its:

[tex] \vec v' = \frac {1}{\sqrt{a²+b²+c²}} \cdot \vec v[/tex]

doesn't that also work now for quantum states?

like in my example

[tex] \mid \phi \rangle' = \frac {1}{\sqrt{\lambda_1' \lambda_1 + \lambda_2' \lambda_2}} \cdot \mid \phi \rangle[/tex]

9. Oct 25, 2012 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's correct. Good.

Earlier you had

10. Oct 25, 2012 #9
    Ah ok, I forgot the square root aswell as the plus. My fault.
    Thank your very much for your help o:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook