Understanding the Absolute Value of a Quantum State

In summary: The answer is yes, that's correct. When you want to normalize a vector, you take the square root of the sum of the vectors.
Lindsayyyy
Hi everyone,

I'm new to quantum mechanics, so bear with me o:)

Homework Statement

I'm not sure if scaling is the right word here, but my problem is about the absolut value of a quantum mechanics state to be one. I have the state [tex] | \phi>[/tex] which is a linear combination of the states [tex] |+>[/tex] and [tex] |->[/tex]. The first task is about scaling my phi.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know [tex] | \phi> = \lambda_1 |+> + \lambda_2 |->[/tex] whereas the lambdas are complex numbers.

Afterwards I used the definition of the scalar product to get the norm.
[tex] <\phi|\phi> = (\lambda_{1}' <+| + \lambda_{2}'<-|)(\lambda_1 |+> + \lambda_2 |->) [/tex]

lambda' is the complex conjugated
If I solve this I get an expression like : sqrt(a+b) wheres my a equals the realpart of my lambdas1 and b equals the real part of my lambdas2

Is that solution right or totally wrong?

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Lindsayyyy said:
Hi everyone,

Afterwards I used the definition of the scalar product to get the norm.
[tex] <\phi|\phi> = (\lambda_{1}' <+| + \lambda_{2}'<-|)(\lambda_1 |+> + \lambda_2 |->) [/tex]

lambda' is the complex conjugated
If I solve this I get an expression like : sqrt(a+b) wheres my a equals the realpart of my lambdas1 and b equals the real part of my lambdas2

Is that solution right or totally wrong?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "If I solve this I get an expression like : sqrt(a+b) " What are you saying sqrt(a+b) should equal?

Anyway, I think the imaginary parts of each λ will be just as important as the real parts.

Note ##(\lambda_{1}' <+| + \lambda_{2}'<-|)(\lambda_1 |+> + \lambda_2 |->)## will expand to

##\lambda_{1}'\lambda_{1} <+| +> \;+ \;\lambda_{1}'\lambda_{2}<+|-> \;+ \; \lambda_{2}'\lambda_{1}<-|+> \;+ \;\lambda_{2}'\lambda_{2}<-|->##

Try to simplify this.

first of all: thanks for the help

Is my attempt at a solution even right? I'm uncertain if that's the right approach.

Yes, I had the expression you mentioned already, where I think I can say the following:

<+|+> and <-|-> equals 1 and <+|-> equals zeroAnd while I'm writing this down. I realized I forgot to say in my beginning post that + and - are orthonormal quantum states :/. Sorry about that.

edit: I got to the point where I have the followng left:
[tex] <\phi|\phi> = \lambda_{1}'\lambda_{1} +\lambda_{2}'\lambda_{2}[/tex]

And a complex number times its conjugated version gives me a real part only

Lindsayyyy said:
I got to the point where I have the followng left:
[tex] <\phi|\phi> = \lambda_{1}'\lambda_{1} +\lambda_{2}'\lambda_{2}[/tex]

And a complex number times its conjugated version gives me a real part only

That looks good. Yes, a complex number times it's conjugate gives a real number in the sense that if z = a + ib then z'z = a^2 + b^2, which includes both the real and imaginary parts of z. (I thought you might have been saying that only the real part of z would contribute to z'z.)

When you talk about "scaling" ##|\phi>##, I am guessing you are talking about what is usually called "normalizing" ##|\phi>##. So, you want to find a number, ##A##, such that if you multiply ##|\phi>## by ##A##, the resultant state vector has a norm of 1. That is, if you let ##|\psi> = A|\phi>## then ##<\psi|\psi> = 1##.

yes, normalizing is the word I'm looking for. I'm not a native speaker and my translation program didn't give me "to normalize" :) .

So, my attempt is right?

the normalized vector would then be:

[tex] \frac {1}{\lambda_1' \lambda_1 \lambda_2' \lambda_2} \mid \phi \rangle[/tex]

Is that correct?

Furthermore I want to calculate the possibility of |+>. I've done it with

[tex] p_n = \frac {|a_n|^2} {\sum |a_n|^2}[/tex]

where my a_n's are the coefficients.
So finally I'd get

[tex] p_+=\frac {|\lambda_1|^2}{|\lambda_1|^2+|\lambda_2|^2}[/tex]

is that correct?

Thanks for the help

Lindsayyyy said:
yes, normalizing is the word I'm looking for. I'm not a native speaker and my translation program didn't give me "to normalize" :) .

So, my attempt is right?

the normalized vector would then be:

[tex] \frac {1}{\lambda_1' \lambda_1 \lambda_2' \lambda_2} \mid \phi \rangle[/tex]

Is that correct?

That's not quite correct. You want to find ##A## such that ##A|\phi>## is normalized. Which means

##<\phi|A'A|\phi> = A'A<\phi|\phi> = 1##. So, ##A'A = \frac{1}{<\phi|\phi>}## You are free to choose ##A## to be a real number, so you can choose ##A^2= \frac{1}{<\phi|\phi>}##
Furthermore I want to calculate the possibility of |+>. I've done it with

[tex] p_n = \frac {|a_n|^2} {\sum |a_n|^2}[/tex]

where my a_n's are the coefficients.
So finally I'd get

[tex] p_+=\frac {|\lambda_1|^2}{|\lambda_1|^2+|\lambda_2|^2}[/tex]

is that correct?

Thanks for the help
That's correct.

Hm I don't understand that.

Let's take a look at "normal" vectors. When I want to normalize a vector its:

[tex] \vec v' = \frac {1}{\sqrt{a²+b²+c²}} \cdot \vec v[/tex]

doesn't that also work now for quantum states?

like in my example

[tex] \mid \phi \rangle' = \frac {1}{\sqrt{\lambda_1' \lambda_1 + \lambda_2' \lambda_2}} \cdot \mid \phi \rangle[/tex]

Lindsayyyy said:
Hm I don't understand that.

Let's take a look at "normal" vectors. When I want to normalize a vector its:

[tex] \vec v' = \frac {1}{\sqrt{a²+b²+c²}} \cdot \vec v[/tex]

doesn't that also work now for quantum states?

like in my example

[tex] \mid \phi \rangle' = \frac {1}{\sqrt{\lambda_1' \lambda_1 + \lambda_2' \lambda_2}} \cdot \mid \phi \rangle[/tex]
Yes, that's correct. Good.

Earlier you had

Ah ok, I forgot the square root as well as the plus. My fault.
Thank your very much for your help o:)

1. What is the definition of scaling in the context of quantum states?

In the context of quantum states, scaling refers to the process of changing the size of a quantum state without altering its properties or structure. This can be achieved through various methods, such as changing the number of particles in the state or adjusting the parameters of the state.

2. How does scaling affect the properties of a quantum state?

Scaling does not affect the properties of a quantum state, as long as the structure and composition of the state remain unchanged. The state will still exhibit the same quantum properties, such as superposition and entanglement, regardless of its size.

3. Can a quantum state be scaled indefinitely?

No, a quantum state cannot be scaled indefinitely. There are physical limitations, such as the number of particles or energy required, that prevent a state from being scaled beyond a certain point. Additionally, scaling a state too much can lead to decoherence, which can disrupt its quantum properties.

4. What are some applications of scaling in quantum states?

Scaling of quantum states has various applications in quantum computing, quantum communication, and quantum sensing. For example, scaling a qubit (quantum bit) can increase its storage capacity, and scaling a quantum sensor can improve its sensitivity.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations in scaling a quantum state?

Yes, there are several challenges and limitations in scaling a quantum state. These include technical limitations, such as the ability to control and manipulate large numbers of particles, as well as theoretical limitations, such as the difficulty in predicting the behavior of large-scale quantum systems. Decoherence is also a major challenge in scaling quantum states, as it can cause loss of information and disrupt the state's quantum properties.