Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scaling of functions

1. Aug 3, 2003 #1
    In another thread Hallsofivy wrote

I think you are confusing things by always talking about "the function f(cx)". f(cx) does not represent a function, it represents a value of a function. f(x), f(y), f(cx) all refer to the same function, f.
    -------------------------------------
    Not wanting to hijack someone else's thread I've started this to discuss the following:

I understand that in all cases f( ) is the same function. But if c is greater than one a graph of f(cx) is 'skinnier' than f(x) and when c is less than one f(cx) is 'wider' than f(x). In engineering these are useful tools especially in transforms. x here is the independent variable not a single value. Maybe mathematicians use a different notation to discuss this concept?

Also, if f() is linear function then
    f(cx) = c * f(x) for any x and
    f(a+b) = f(a) + f(b)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2003 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're implicitly defining a new function, g, given by:

g(x) := f(cx)

and it is the graph of this new function, g, that can be "skinnier" or "wider" than the graph of f.

Because of the common abuses of notation, there is some ambiguity in what precisely is meant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?