1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scaling problem with potential difference change and calculation of original length

1. Jan 8, 2013 #1
    The electric potential at a distance r from a positive point charge is 45V. The potential
    increases to 50 V when the distance from the charge decreases by 1.5 m. What is the
    value of r?

A 1.3m
    B 1.5m
    C 7.9m
    D 15m
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the answer is D

2. Relevant equations
    V=(1/4∏ε) q/r
    v proportional to 1/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    5=(q/(1/4∏ε))*((1/r-1.5)-(1/r))

How embarrassing I just can’t get my head around this one. Am I setting the equation up correct to solve.
    If I have I need desperate help with the algebra.
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Scaling problem with potential difference change and calculation of original leng

You have one equation and two unknowns.

Taking the ratio [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \frac{V(r)}{V(r-1.5)}\ \ [/itex] might be more helpful.

Otherwise, use your equation along with [itex]\displaystyle \ \ V(r)=45=\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0\,r}\ \ [/itex] then eliminate q & solve for r.

4. Jan 8, 2013 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Re: Scaling problem with potential difference change and calculation of original leng

You're going to want to get rid of the constants you don't have values for (like the charge value q) so you'll probably want to set it up as a ratio so that they'll cancel out.

EDIT: SammyS got their first!

5. Jan 8, 2013 #4

Thank you guys.
    I did it like this with your help.
    Is this mathematicaly sound.
    Thanks
    Mr C
    electrostaic_zpsf9de5785.jpg

6. Jan 8, 2013 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That answer is correct.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook