Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scam or Fraud warning!

1. Aug 1, 2017 #1

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I got a phone call today - call back number 800-549-5301. It claimed Microsoft Windows license expired. I checked reverse phone lookup. Many people have received this call - obvious fraud. I believe Microsoft does not phone anyone, but uses e-mail to communicate.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2017 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 1, 2017 #3

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Connected to the Internet, Microsoft do whatever it wants with my Windows installation. :cry::H:nb):mad:

5. Aug 1, 2017 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

There's a lot of youtube videos on these types of scams:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mic...rome..69i57.8834j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

In one video, the scammer tried to prove his call was real by referencing a software key embedded within the windows registry (via regedit command) that he said was the user's special MS windows ID (it wasn't it was the same for every user) that identified the computer to them remotely.

6. Aug 1, 2017 #5
    Microsoft have no obligation at all to assist individual users of Windows OS or other products, although their online support is usally friendly
    A company with billions of users has no reason to contact individual users personally and ask if things are working properly.
    If you have a car or even a bike, does the producers get in touch to see if it's OK?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted