Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scanner reading software

1. Mar 23, 2008 #1

Defennder

Homework Helper

I don't know how to describe this properly in a few words, hence the awkward thread title. I used to own this particular program which is able to decipher words in picture files to actual text which can then be copied to MS word or other word processors. It doesn't require a scanner but it works well with one, and I remember testing it out on some printed text like books and newspapers and it deciphered most of the text through the scanner easily. I believed it was freeware. Does anyone know of a program that does the above?

I forgot the name of the program I used and I believe I deleted it inadvertently.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's called Optical Character Recognition (OCR) there are lots of programs (with different performance) usually you get one free with the scanner.
    I think the latest MS-office includes one - otherwise try a search on sourceforge for free ones.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?