Scanners wanting huge files

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary: I don't know, it's that I don't understand what it is. DPI is dots per inch and that is how many pixels there are on an image. So if your image is 3 bytes per pixel, and your resolution is 1920x1080, that is roughly 2.1 million pixels.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So i got a new scanner right... and it can do up to 19200dpi... but i try to scan just to test it out and the software says it's going to create a 24 GB file with 24 bit color at that resolution. What the hell?!

What kind of resolution should I use and what file (jpg or bmp... ok well obviously jpg) should I use if i wanted to copy a real 4x6 picture and not notice any quality degradation.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
19200dpi?! What scanner is that?

Copying a 4x6 photo, I'd probably use 300-600dpi. But try it and find out: If you zoom in and can see the grain of the photo, but not the pixellation of the digital image, you've used a high enough resolution. For scanning negatives you'd obviously need to go higher - perhaps 1200. But I couldn't imagine a need to scan something at 19200dpi.

HP Scanjet 4370

I don't even really understand what dpi is :(

dpi=dots per inch

consider the 4"x6" photo russ mentioned.

At 19200 dpi, 4"x6" = 76 800 x 115 200 dots (pixels) = ~8.8E9 pixels. 24 bit colour = 3 bytes/pixels, this comes out to about 26 GB to store the raw data for the image.

But, Amazon.com says the scanner does 3600x7200 dpi, quite a bit less than the 19 200 you mentioned. If the scanner driver does go to 19 200, it's probably software interpolated.

Pixels Per Inch is PPI, this is the density of images in digital medium, or in your computer.

DPI is Dots Per Inch, and this is a printing term. So, for instance if you had a really huge image with a lot of detail, and you were printing on a very smooth paper, you would want at least 1440 DPI, most likely 2880 DPI, or more for advanced photographers.

An image from digital to print, for great detail should have 300 PPI. Images start at 72 in the computer because that is how we look at them on screen, and that is the size they have to be to be on the web, or less. You start with a number of pixels and if you constrain the aspect ratios in images, then the image gets smaller when the pixels per inch are increased. Photo imaging programs have components that chop up the pixels and make them smaller, halving, quartering, etc. That is how you can have the same sized image in inches, but have more pixels for a smoother look.

I have images that are greater than 500 megs, and that is not at all uncommon for photographers. Newer digital cameras shoot at 16 megs, or even more if you have the computer to handle that much, which would need about 2 gigs of ram, if not 4.

One of the tricks of all this, is to make sure your monitor is set to the highest pixel density you are going to use in your images, so that when you repair things, you see them as they will be when you print, at least in content. Color calibration is another thing. But if you set your monitor, and your printer to the same icc profile then things should be more like what you see on the screen when you print. If your monitor is only set to 800x600 you fix a photo, and print it, and there can be large messy areas, in what you thought were blacks, but really they were dark areas with a lot of detail. I have made every mistake possible, in the learning of these few basics.

By the way, an inexperienced printer will try to equate PPI and DPI and there is no real connection there. Your prints can be 720 dpi if you are using a very soft paper, like rag or watercolor, and sometimes that is better. But for smooth photographic images, tell the printer you want at least 1440 dpi. Other wise you will have droplet patterns in larger images.

Last edited:
imabug said:
dpi=dots per inch

consider the 4"x6" photo russ mentioned.

At 19200 dpi, 4"x6" = 76 800 x 115 200 dots (pixels) = ~8.8E9 pixels. 24 bit colour = 3 bytes/pixels, this comes out to about 26 GB to store the raw data for the image.

But, Amazon.com says the scanner does 3600x7200 dpi, quite a bit less than the 19 200 you mentioned. If the scanner driver does go to 19 200, it's probably software interpolated.

Yah it must be software based. It says the 3600x7200 on the scanner too but it still had the option in hte software.

I wasn't sure what DPI meant because i did that same calculation and got the gigabyte scale storage necessity and thought that I had the calculation wrong or didn't know what DPI meant.

russ_watters said:
19200dpi?! What scanner is that?

Copying a 4x6 photo, I'd probably use 300-600dpi. But try it and find out: If you zoom in and can see the grain of the photo, but not the pixellation of the digital image, you've used a high enough resolution. For scanning negatives you'd obviously need to go higher - perhaps 1200. But I couldn't imagine a need to scan something at 19200dpi.

if you are doing pictures for things that will end up on billboards, you need that resolution to scale it up that size.

Man... scanning is annoying :P

Seems like the only way to get a straight scan is putting the papers up to the border... but then for borderless photos, a bit is cut off during the scan. How can i do this better :P

How much gets cut off? Most scanners have a preferred corner, which you should use.

By the way, is your scanning software attempting to do any auto-cropping?

Well if you "preview" the scan during the process, it won't autocrop. The problem is with bordless 4x6's. Even with manual cropping, it doesn't get every last bit (its not really noticable... maybe 1/2mm-1mm. I assume the "preferred" corner is the top right here because there's a little diagram molded on that has an image of your paper on the top right hand side of the glass.

1. What is meant by "scanners wanting huge files"?

"Scanners wanting huge files" refers to the tendency of certain scanning devices to produce and prefer high-resolution, large-sized files when scanning documents or images.

2. Why do scanners sometimes produce huge files?

Scanners produce huge files because they capture images or documents at high resolutions, resulting in a large number of pixels and high-quality images. This is useful for preserving details but can also result in large file sizes.

3. Are there any benefits to having a scanner that produces huge files?

Yes, there are benefits to having a scanner that produces huge files. These files preserve more details and allow for greater flexibility in editing and resizing without losing quality. They are also useful for printing high-quality images.

4. Can I reduce the file size of a scanned image?

Yes, you can reduce the file size of a scanned image by adjusting the scanning settings. Lowering the resolution or choosing a different file format can significantly decrease the file size. There are also software programs available that can compress scanned images without losing much quality.

5. Are there any downsides to having a scanner that produces huge files?

One downside to having a scanner that produces huge files is that they can take up a lot of storage space on your device. This can also lead to longer processing times and may make it difficult to send or upload the files. Additionally, the larger file sizes may not be necessary for certain purposes, making the extra space and time required for them unnecessary.