Can I Succeed in Senior Year Math Without Making Friends with My Classmates?

In summary, it is possible to do well in math without talking to your classmates, but it is beneficial to collaborate with others.
qspeechc
Hi everyone.

So I am almost a senior math student. The senior year is obviously difficult and the classes small, and I was worried that I am not going to be friends with any of the other senior math students. This means I will be working on my own as opposed to in a group like the other students. Is it possible to do well without talking about the material with your classmates? And please don't tell me to make friends with them, that's just not going to happen. I will have known them for three years and not had any interest in being friends with them (I am just very different from the other math students, like I'm an outsider).

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have to be friends to work together. I work regularly with fellow students that I don't speak outside college. We both benefit from it.
Just ask the guy who happens to sit next to you 'did you understand the last part of the proof?', or 'I didn't get exercise 5, did you?', or something like that, and he's probably willing to talk to you. You're all math students, it's just professional.

What Landau said.

Also, at some point you simply have to get used to collaborating with people that are NOT your friends (at the social level). Being able to work with people is an important skill that you will need regardless of what career you go into.

Almost like me talking. Writing.

I've always felt that it's not appropriate to ask someone who's not your friend. The students are somewhat like competitors (who gets to be the best) and guard their answers zealously. Why would they want to give me a free ride if it's not guaranteed it's worth it?

I think the difference to stricly professional environment is that if we'd be employees then we'd be paid to get results, and part of it would be helping your co-workers (though as far as I know backstabbing and such is a standard unofficial procedure in a corporate environment).

But if I ask for help as a student, I'm just helping myself.

Last edited:
osc said:
I've always felt that it's not appropriate to ask someone who's not your friend. The students are somewhat like competitors (who gets to be the best) and guard their answers zealously. Why would they want to give me a free ride if it's not guaranteed it's worth it?

You're wrong. Looking at education as a competition is a horrible idea. I've always worked together with people both in undergrad and now in grad school. Especially in grad school, none of us would finish the homework without at least a little help from someone else in the class. We learn from each other as well as the lecture.

Treating education as a competition with those sitting next to you means that everyone loses and gets less out of the class.

We'll all be friends with you!

Ok, editing post, that wasn't very constructive.

But you can't assume that your classmates aren't struggling at all either. Perhaps an agreement could be made, you know, for mutual benefit.

Anyway, you always have this gigantic forum to consult with.

What is "Scared of My Senior Year" about?

"Scared of My Senior Year" is a coming-of-age story about a high school senior who is struggling with the fear of leaving their familiar surroundings and embarking on the next phase of their life.

Why do people feel scared during their senior year?

Many people feel scared during their senior year because it marks the end of a major chapter in their life and the beginning of a new, unknown one. It can also be a time of high pressure and expectations, as students are preparing for college or entering the workforce.

Is "Scared of My Senior Year" based on real experiences?

As a scientist, I cannot confirm if "Scared of My Senior Year" is based on real experiences. However, it is common for authors to draw inspiration from their own lives and observations in order to create relatable and authentic stories.

How can someone overcome their fear of senior year?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution for overcoming fear, but some strategies that may help include talking to a trusted friend or family member about your fears, seeking support from a therapist or counselor, setting realistic goals and timelines, and focusing on the present moment rather than worrying about the future.

What is the message or lesson of "Scared of My Senior Year"?

The message of "Scared of My Senior Year" may vary depending on the reader's interpretation, but a common lesson is that change and growth can be scary, but they also offer opportunities for personal development and new experiences. It is important to acknowledge and process our fears, but also to have the courage to move forward and embrace new challenges.