1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scared of My Senior Year.

1. Oct 11, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone.

So I am almost a senior math student. The senior year is obviously difficult and the classes small, and I was worried that I am not going to be friends with any of the other senior math students. This means I will be working on my own as opposed to in a group like the other students. Is it possible to do well without talking about the material with your classmates? And please don't tell me to make friends with them, that's just not going to happen. I will have known them for three years and not had any interest in being friends with them (I am just very different from the other math students, like I'm an outsider).

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2009 #2

Landau

Science Advisor

You don't have to be friends to work together. I work regularly with fellow students that I don't speak outside college. We both benefit from it.
    Just ask the guy who happens to sit next to you 'did you understand the last part of the proof?', or 'I didn't get exercise 5, did you?', or something like that, and he's probably willing to talk to you. You're all math students, it's just professional.

4. Oct 11, 2009 #3

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What Landau said.

Also, at some point you simply have to get used to collaborating with people that are NOT your friends (at the social level). Being able to work with people is an important skill that you will need regardless of what career you go into.

5. Oct 11, 2009 #4

osc

Almost like me talking. Writing.

I've always felt that it's not appropriate to ask someone who's not your friend. The students are somewhat like competitors (who gets to be the best) and guard their answers zealously. Why would they want to give me a free ride if it's not guaranteed it's worth it?

I think the difference to stricly professional environment is that if we'd be employees then we'd be paid to get results, and part of it would be helping your co-workers (though as far as I know backstabbing and such is a standard unofficial procedure in a corporate environment).

But if I ask for help as a student, I'm just helping myself.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  6. Oct 11, 2009 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're wrong. Looking at education as a competition is a horrible idea. I've always worked together with people both in undergrad and now in grad school. Especially in grad school, none of us would finish the homework without at least a little help from someone else in the class. We learn from each other as well as the lecture.

Treating education as a competition with those sitting next to you means that everyone loses and gets less out of the class.

7. Oct 11, 2009 #6
    We'll all be friends with you!

Ok, editing post, that wasn't very constructive.

But you can't assume that your classmates aren't struggling at all either. Perhaps an agreement could be made, you know, for mutual benefit.

Anyway, you always have this gigantic forum to consult with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook