Can Fear Really Kill You? Exploring the Truth Behind People Under the Stairs

• Thread starter thunderfvck
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the idea of people being scared to death and whether their hair can turn white as a result. The example of a scene in a movie was brought up, as well as a story about Australian Aboriginal tribal rituals where someone could be pointed to death. The possibility of the brain triggering a body-wide shut down or causing a heart attack from stress was mentioned, but the truth about hair turning white from fear was unclear.
thunderfvck
Hi.
I just finished watching Wes Craven's "People Under the Stairs" (hilarious) and there was one scene that brought something up. There was this guy who, as a result of being scared so badly, his hair turned white and he died. Is there any truth to this? Do people really get scared to death? Does their hair really turn white? I really don't think so but I thought I'd ask to make sure.

Biology news on Phys.org
I've heard stories of Australian Aboriginal tribal rituals whereby someone found guilty of commiting a serious crime would be danced around, chanted at etc etc, and at the climax of the ritual the central dance guy would essentially point a bone at the accused and they would die.

I haven't had this story 'confirmed' in any regards, but I don't have to much difficulty believeing it to be possible. I mean, the brain exercises tremendous power over our bodies, and if the brain is truley convinced that it is about to die, then it is possibly that it could trigger a body wide shut down...or simply cause a heart attack from stress.

I don't know about the white hair though.

Although it was mentioned in that song "mmm mmm mmm mmm", that a kid was in a car crash and ended up with white hair. *shrugs*

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that fear can directly kill a person. While fear can certainly trigger physical responses in the body, such as an increase in heart rate and blood pressure, these responses are not typically strong enough to cause death. In fact, fear can often have a protective effect on the body by preparing it to fight or flee from a perceived threat.

As for the idea of hair turning white from fear, this is also a myth. Hair color is determined by genetics and the production of melanin, not by emotional experiences. However, it is possible for hair to turn gray or white due to stress, but this process occurs over a longer period of time and is not directly caused by fear.

It is important to remember that movies and media often exaggerate and sensationalize certain concepts for dramatic effect. While "People Under the Stairs" may be a thrilling and entertaining film, it is not a reliable source for information on the effects of fear on the human body. If you have concerns about the impact of fear on your health, it is always best to consult a medical professional for accurate information and advice.

1. Can fear actually kill you?

While fear can certainly cause physical reactions in the body, such as an increased heart rate and sweaty palms, it is unlikely to directly cause death. However, prolonged and extreme fear can lead to other health issues, such as increased stress and anxiety, which can contribute to certain medical conditions.

2. Is there any scientific evidence that fear can kill?

There have been some studies that suggest fear can have a negative impact on health, such as a 2018 study that found a link between fear of crime and cardiovascular disease. However, more research is needed to definitively say that fear can directly cause death.

3. How does fear affect the body?

When a person experiences fear, their body releases a hormone called cortisol, also known as the "stress hormone." This can lead to physical symptoms such as increased heart rate, rapid breathing, and tense muscles. Prolonged fear and stress can also weaken the immune system and cause other health issues.

4. Is fear an evolutionary response?

Yes, fear is considered an evolutionary response that helps protect us from danger. When we feel fear, our bodies go into a "fight or flight" response, preparing us to either confront the danger or flee from it. This response evolved to help humans survive in dangerous situations.

5. Can fear be beneficial?

In small doses, fear can actually be beneficial. It can help us avoid dangerous situations and motivate us to take action. However, when fear becomes excessive and prolonged, it can have negative effects on our mental and physical well-being. It is important to find a balance and manage fear in a healthy way.