Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Scary New GOP Poll

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    Scary New GOP Poll

How reliable is this poll?

It reads:
    Isn't it a recipe for a disaster?
    I realize that there's anger brewing against Obama ... but political assassination!?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Depending on who you ask and how you ask, you can get about any poll results you want. If you ask college graduates if Obama is a US citizen or if he is a Muslim, those numbers would plummet, even among Republicans.

4. Mar 23, 2010 #3
    The poll was looking for a specific answer, and it got it. Where is the option for "Obama is a US citizen etc. etc."

It's like Ford asking people how much they hate GM.

5. Mar 23, 2010 #4

turbo

Gold Member

From the article:

The poll, which surveyed 2,230 people right at the height of the health-care reform debate, also clearly shows that education is a barrier to extremism. Respondents without a college education are vastly more likely to believe such claims, while Americans with college degrees or better are less easily duped. It's a reminder of what the 19th-century educator Horace Mann once too-loftily said: "Ignorance breeds monsters to fill up the vacancies of the soul that are unoccupied by the verities of knowledge."

6. Mar 23, 2010 #5

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are the complete poll results somewhere? I'm wary of reading the summary.

7. Mar 23, 2010 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I wonder if that poll and its results are not part of promotional campaign for the books mentioned. But I can be wrong.

8. Mar 23, 2010 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Complete results to be released tomorrow (3/24)

9. Mar 23, 2010 #8
    Hitler and Obama are both chronic oxygen consumers. Not to mention they both utilize adenosine triphosphate in an earily similar way.

10. Mar 23, 2010 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And you never see pictures of them in the same room .......

11. Mar 24, 2010 #10

Borek

Actually, I have here a picture of Hitler and a picture of Obama, so you are wrong.

12. Mar 24, 2010 #11

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The poll was commissioned in support of selling a book, Wingnuts. It is not a "GOP Poll", despite what the author of Wingnuts is saying - it was conducted by Harris. The way Harris did their poll is with an internet web site, and they use their own private methodology to correct the responses for the large sampling biases of an online survey.

It's entirely possible that "57% of Republicans" really is "1% of Republicans", but weighted to appear to be 57%. One cannot tell; Harris is understandably very cagey about this.

Interestingly, 6% of Democrats believe he may be the Antichrist. That's about the size of the fraction of Democrats who voted against health care. :devil:

13. Mar 24, 2010 #12

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So the survey said that of the random people that clicked random answers for fun on a website - 57% also clicked the I am a republican box?

14. Mar 24, 2010 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Harris is a fairly reputed polling organization (or am I mistaken?). I highly doubt that a 57% result is just as likely to be a 1% result. That said, I've seen more than a few polls conducted around election time reporting that roughly 20% of Republicans believed Obama was a Muslim1 (as opposed to 57% in the present Harris Poll).

Anyone got a link to the actual polling data from Harris? I couldn't find it in their database at harrisinteractive.com

1. See, for example: http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1176/obama-muslim-opinion-not-changed

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  15. Mar 24, 2010 #14
    Weren't there equally biased polls against Bush?

16. Mar 24, 2010 #15

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think anyone believed Bush was the anti-christ.
    Although you could picture him riding a little red tricycle in the Whitehouse.

17. Mar 24, 2010 #16

Char. Limit

Gold Member

The worst part about this is that those figures actually seem believeable to me after just one hour of Fox Republican News...

Yeah, there's gonna be an assassination attempt against Obama. After all, if they'd assassinate Chester Arthur or John Kennedy, someone will try to assassinate Obama.

18. Mar 25, 2010 #17

russ_watters

Here's the poll: http://news.harrisinteractive.com/p...sp?BzID=1963&ResLibraryID=37050&Category=1777

From the statement on methodology:
    In other words, they can offer no estimate of how accurately this reflects the views of the country.

A few notes:
    -For an "online poll", this isn't as bad as some people seem to think. This isn't an open poll where people can stuff the ballot box by telling all their friends to vote (see: Colbert exercise bike on the space station).
    -Some of the questions are reasonable, some silly. I'd be interested to know how people react to silly questions: do they give silly answers? Though I generally participate in polls because I want my opinion counted, I might give a silly answer to a silly question or blow-off/sabbotage a pollster who I think has an adgenda I don't like.
    -Some of the questions are broadly worded, perhaps deliberately, to inflate the quantity of "yes" votes (as some here have commented-on with the Hitler question).

19. Mar 27, 2010 #18

Borek

20. Mar 27, 2010 #19

turbo

Gold Member

Eric Cantor claimed to be a victim of such violence, but police investigated and determined that a bullet-hole in a window of his un-marked office space was the result of random gun-fire. Still, our valiant "press" in its quest for even-handedness (as opposed to truth) included that in stories about violence and threats against Democrats. The sad truth is that radicals in the GOP are encouraging attacks on supporters of health-care reform. Sarah Palin released an relatively uninformative map targeting Democrats, using graphics of rifle-sights. Boehner said "Take Steve Driehaus, for example," he says. "He may be a dead man. He can’t go home to the west side of Cincinnati." The jerks issue "clarifications" explaining that they don't mean to incite violence, though that's not the message that the crazies take home.

21. Mar 28, 2010 #20
    I realize it's been a long time, but I seem to recall some threats made toward Bush. I also seem to recall a movie that depicted an attack on him - did anyone find that troubling?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook