Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scary Novel

1. Jan 1, 2009 #1
    I am looking for a novel that will scare me straight out of my skin. Not blood and gore, but a physiological horror. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Make room Make room - Harry Harrison, it's the story that 'Soylent Green' is based on but that is the least disturbing part of the story.

4. Jan 1, 2009 #3
    The Shining, it is 10x scarier then the movie!

5. Jan 1, 2009 #4
    Ummmm... never read any books that I thought were scary really. Currently I have a booked called In The Miso Soup by Ryu Murakami. I haven't started it yet but I understand that it is supposed to be the Japanese version of Silence of the Lambs. Unfortunately it looks to be a rather short book, more of a novella.
    I'll try to get on it soon and let you know what I think.

6. Jan 2, 2009 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

"IT CRAWLS!!!" is a novel that makes your skin, well..crawl.
    I read it once, and I was so terrified I burned my book after having been in continuous nightmares for 3 weeks. After that, the horror receded somewhat.
    I won't tell you the author or publishing company, because tender souls should not be tempted to go looking for this horrid masterpiece. Nor will I tell you the language in which it is written.

7. Jan 2, 2009 #6
    :eek:
    Good grief! I have never heard of anyone doing this!
    I am tempted to give it a look.
    Could you please tell me the author?

8. Jan 2, 2009 #7

radou

Homework Helper

I remember a friend mention Kafka's "The castle" to be extremely intimidating, although philosophical in nature. Never read it, though.

9. Jan 2, 2009 #8
    House of Leaves. i remember reading somewhere that it's not intended to be a scary book, but everyone i know whose read it, myself included, was freaked out by it. it's the kind of book that has you looking over your shoulder. very captivating and weird.

10. Jan 2, 2009 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Nope.
    I am a comitted philantropist.

11. Jan 2, 2009 #10

turbo

Gold Member

The Exorcist is a very well-written and creepy book. The movie was a cartoon, in comparison.

12. Jan 2, 2009 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

A short story of excellent calibre is "The Tell-Tale Heart" by Edgar Allan Poe.

13. Jan 2, 2009 #12
  14. Jan 2, 2009 #13
    read that in school, not scary at all.

15. Jan 2, 2009 #14
  16. Jan 2, 2009 #15
    Its not a scary book... well depending on your definition of scary I guess.
    Its political satire. Tedious might be a better word to describe it.

17. Jan 4, 2009 #16
    The most terrifying book I've ever read is George Orwell's 1984, because it's absolutely believeable.

If you want more creepy-horror, check out the collection of HP Lovecraft, freely available on the web.

18. Jan 4, 2009 #17

I've not read much of his work but it didn't seem terribly creepy to me.
    I hear Poppy Z Brite is supposed to be really creepy. Also very gory though.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  19. Jan 4, 2009 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This was my first pick too. I've never had a book ... color my view of life like that.

20. Jan 5, 2009 #19
    Really? Lovecraft's atheistic view of horror was pretty effective to me - I remember him using the phrase 'a blasphemy to science' to describe the nature of the creatures discovered in Antarctica in 'The Mountains of Madness', and 'obtuse angles that behave like acute angles' on the island in 'Cthulhu'. There's a certain horrific obscenity to it, akin to the more mainstream horror gag of undead zombies. Ah well, different strokes...

21. Jan 5, 2009 #20

turbo

Gold Member

Even if you have seen "The Exorcist" film, please read the book. Especially if you were brought up Roman Catholic. Read it alone at night on a weekend. I did, and I couldn't put it down, then I didn't want to go to sleep.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?