Finding the nth Term of Complex Sequences

In summary, the conversation was about finding the nth term formula for a given sequence and whether there is a formula for finding the nth term of sequences with multiple levels. The participants discussed using Newton's difference formula and discerning patterns to find a polynomial formula for the sequence. One participant noticed a pattern involving powers of two and suggested using it to predict the next number in the sequence.
adjacent
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I have two questions
1.Today,in my test paper,I got this sequence. Find the nth term formula
I didn't know how to start.This is clearly not an arithmetic or geometric sequence.
Any help?

2. And is there any formula for finding the nth term of sequences with multiple level?
What I mean as multiple level here is this.
2,4,6,8,10 below the sequence is the difference between two numbers.
1. 2 2 2 2

This is a first level sequence.

1. 2 4 6 8
2. 2 2 2

This is a 2nd level sequence.

Is there any formula for finding the nth term of n level sequences?

Homework Equations

a+d(n-1)
ar(n-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What was the actual question?

Did they want you to create a formula for the nth term or just predict the next number in the sequence?

jedishrfu said:
What was the actual question?

Did they want you to create a formula for the nth term or just predict the next number in the sequence?
Create the formula for nth term.

I don't think there is a generic formula that you can use here instead you must discern the pattern and write one yourself.

I see a kind of powers of two pattern in your sequence but I'm not sure if there is a simpler solution. I noticed that 1 is 2^0 and 3 is 2^2-1 ...

There is always formulas- generally, an infinite number of them, for any finite sequence of numbers.

One way of getting such a formula is to use "Newton's difference formula" to get a polynomial. Given n (x, y) points, there exist a unique polynomial of degree n-1 and up. We can think of the sequence 1,3,15,61,253 as given by the function f(0)= 1, f(1)= 3, f(2)= 15, f(3)= 61, and f(4)= 253.
The "first differences" are 3-1= 2, 15- 3= 12, 61- 15= 46, 253- 61= 192.
The "second differences" are 12- 2= 10, 46- 12= 34, 192- 46= 144.
The "third differences" are 34- 10= 24, 144- 34= 110.
The "fourth difference" is 110- 24= 76.

By "Newton's difference formula" these numbers are given by 1+ 2n+ (10/2)n(n+1)+(24/6)n(n+1)(n+2)+ (76/24)n(n+1)(n+ 2)(n+ 3).

A small correction 192-46 = 146 and so 146-34 = 112 and 112-24 = 88

I saw a curious pattern

2^0, 2^2-1, 2^4-1, 2^6-3, 2^8-3, 2^10-5 so I figured the next number would be 2^12-5 ...

What is the nth term of a complex sequence?

The nth term of a complex sequence is the formula that represents the pattern or rule for finding the value of any term in the sequence, where n represents the position or index of the term in the sequence.

How do I find the nth term of a complex sequence?

To find the nth term of a complex sequence, you need to first identify the pattern or rule that governs the sequence. Then, you can use this pattern or rule to create a formula that represents the nth term. This formula will generally include the value of n and any other variables or constants that are part of the sequence's pattern.

Can all complex sequences be represented by a formula for the nth term?

Not all complex sequences can be represented by a formula for the nth term. Some sequences may have patterns that are too complex to be expressed in a simple formula, or they may have patterns that are irregular or do not follow a specific rule. In these cases, it may be more appropriate to describe the sequence using other methods, such as a recursive formula or a graphical representation.

Are there different methods for finding the nth term of a complex sequence?

Yes, there are different methods for finding the nth term of a complex sequence. Some common methods include using algebraic equations, using geometric patterns, and using recursion. The most appropriate method will depend on the specific sequence and its pattern.

Why is finding the nth term of a complex sequence important?

Finding the nth term of a complex sequence is important because it allows us to predict and calculate the value of any term in the sequence without having to manually write out each term. This can be useful in a variety of fields, including mathematics, physics, and computer science, where complex patterns and sequences often arise.