Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scary Site I saw on a bumper sticker

1. Sep 23, 2005 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm really not a violent person, but seeing a bumper sticker with this site on it made me want to use my car as a weapon.

www.thinktwice.com

Any biologists able to regain their composure enough to comment...?

One specific question - the site links the CDC national vital statistics report, which shows 257 flu deaths, 61,777 pneumonia deaths, and also has them mixed together. Is this because they are related illnesses/the flu causes pneumonia?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2005 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Oh dear...

"Personal Stories: Heart-wrenching personal stories by parents whose children were harmed by vaccines."
    Woo, anecdotal evidence... I wonder if they accept heart wrenching personal stories by parents whose children were harmed by polio. I reckon there'd be a lot around if they had their way.

4. Sep 23, 2005 #3
    Yes, most of you are to young to have watched Polio march down your street, or had kids in your class die of measles. For the most part vaccines are good. But they are not 100% safe, they never claimed to be. But my children never lost a friend to childhood disease, like I did.
    I was well aware of the risks of vaccines, before making the choice to have my children immunized. The information has been avalible for well over 25+ years.

5. Sep 23, 2005 #4
    The CDC aims for something like 95% coverage on vaccinations against the most debilitating diseases. Once "herd immunity" is established, an outbreak can't really take hold.

We and our kids benefit not only directly from vaccinations, but we also benefit from the fact that 95% of those around us are vaccinated. They won't be coughing diphtheria or pertussis, on us, for example.

The 5% who don't vaccinate still benefit from the 95% around them that do, for the same reason. They could get sick, but are unlikely to for the simple reason that the etiological agent can't get a foothold in the community.

I have more of a problem with the "conspiracy mindset" in general (the mindset that predisposes people to think that the moon landing was faked etc) than with a small percentage of individuals choosing to forego vaccination. If they think there is a conspiracy, that bothers me. The fact that their kids aren't vaccinated, doesn't.

6. Sep 23, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This also helps protect those who get vaccinated, but for whom the vaccine doesn't work...for whatever reason.

I often wonder if there's a mental illness that predisposes people to believing these outlandish conspiracy theories, or if they're just plain stupid and incapable of thinking things through rationally.

There was a display case in the lobby of the building I used to work in. It was a dedication to Sabin, the person who developed the oral polio vaccine. It included photos of children stricken with polio, old leg braces, and copies of letters he received from children all over the world thanking him for his vaccine. It does sicken me a bit that there are parents who will choose to put their child's life at risk over some conspiracy theory about vaccines. It seems to me they aren't acting in the best interest of the child and perhaps aren't mentally stable enough to be raising that child.

7. Sep 23, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I only skimmed the site, so didn't see that part. The flu doesn't cause pneumonia, but it would leave them with irritated/raw airways from the coughing that makes them susceptible to secondary infections, such as pneumonia.

8. Sep 23, 2005 #7

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Yeah, I'm too young to have seen that. I've heard my grandma talk about it before though. Sounded terrible, and I'm glad that most people have had the sense to immunise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?