Calculating Scattering Amplitude in Born Approx.

In summary, the conversation is about calculating scattering amplitudes of spherically symmetric potentials in the Born approximation. The solution involves an incoming plane wave and a potential, with the Green's function taking a specific form. The resulting scattering amplitude is dependent on the unit vector in the radial direction, and not the distance itself.
Unkraut

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to calculate the scattering amplitudes of some spherically symmetric potentials in the Born approximation and just trying to figure out how that works in general and what a scattering amplitude is actually.

Homework Equations

1+1=2

The Attempt at a Solution

Reading this page http://electron6.phys.utk.edu/QM2/modules/m7/born.htm, I understand the following:
With an incoming plane wave [tex]\psi_0(\vec r)=e^{ikz}[/tex] and a potential [tex]V(r)=\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}U(r)[/tex] the solution can be written as [tex]\psi(\vec r)=\psi_0(\vec r)+\int G(\vec r-\vec r')U(r')\psi(r')d^3r[/tex] where the Green's function G takes the form [tex]G(\vec r)=G(r)=-\frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{e^{ikr}}{r}[/tex] and for big r we have [tex]G(\vec r-\vec r')=-\frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{e^{ikr}}{r}e^{-ik\vec r \cdot \vec r'}[/tex].
Now [tex]\psi(\vec r)=e^{ikz}-\frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{e^{ikr}}{r}\int e^{-ik\vec r \cdot \vec r'}U(r')\phi(\vec r')d^3r'=e^{ikz}+f(\theta, \phi)e^{ikr}{r}[/tex] ?
That means [tex]f(\theta, \phi)=-\frac{1}{4\pi}\int e^{-ik\vec r \cdot \vec r'}U(r')\phi(\vec r')d^3r'[/tex]. But this is dependent on r, isn't it? In other sources I find rougly the same, with no explanation why this is considered independent of r. In my eyes that looks just wrong. Physics is strange.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, I see. It's not [tex]\vec r[/tex] but [tex]\hat r[/tex], i.e. the unit vector in radial direction. I misinterpreted the notation. Right?

1. What is the Born approximation method for calculating scattering amplitude?

The Born approximation is a mathematical technique used to calculate the scattering amplitude, which describes the probability of a particle being deflected by a potential field. It assumes that the potential field is weak and that the scattered particles do not interact with each other.

2. How is the Born approximation method used in scattering experiments?

In scattering experiments, the Born approximation is used to calculate the expected results based on the known properties of the particles and the potential field. It allows researchers to make predictions about the scattering behavior without having to solve the complex equations of quantum mechanics.

3. What are the limitations of the Born approximation method?

The Born approximation is only applicable for weak potential fields and non-interacting particles. It also assumes that the particles are point-like and that the potential field is constant over the range of the particles' motion. These assumptions may not hold true in all scenarios, leading to inaccuracies in the calculated scattering amplitude.

4. How does the Born approximation method differ from other methods of calculating scattering amplitude?

The Born approximation is a simplified approach that is easier to use compared to other methods, such as the Schrödinger equation or Feynman diagrams. It also provides a good approximation for many scattering scenarios, but may not be as accurate as more complex methods.

5. Can the Born approximation method be extended to include higher order effects?

Yes, the Born approximation can be extended to include higher order effects by using a perturbation series. This involves considering the potential field as a small perturbation on the particles' motion and calculating the scattering amplitude to higher orders of approximation. However, this can become increasingly complex and may not always provide significant improvements in accuracy.