1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scattering amplitude

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm supposed to calculate the scattering amplitudes of some spherically symmetric potentials in the Born approximation and just trying to figure out how that works in general and what a scattering amplitude is actually.

2. Relevant equations
    1+1=2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Reading this page http://electron6.phys.utk.edu/QM2/modules/m7/born.htm, I understand the following:
    With an incoming plane wave [tex]\psi_0(\vec r)=e^{ikz}[/tex] and a potential [tex]V(r)=\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}U(r)[/tex] the solution can be written as [tex]\psi(\vec r)=\psi_0(\vec r)+\int G(\vec r-\vec r')U(r')\psi(r')d^3r[/tex] where the Green's function G takes the form [tex]G(\vec r)=G(r)=-\frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{e^{ikr}}{r}[/tex] and for big r we have [tex]G(\vec r-\vec r')=-\frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{e^{ikr}}{r}e^{-ik\vec r \cdot \vec r'}[/tex].
    Now [tex]\psi(\vec r)=e^{ikz}-\frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{e^{ikr}}{r}\int e^{-ik\vec r \cdot \vec r'}U(r')\phi(\vec r')d^3r'=e^{ikz}+f(\theta, \phi)e^{ikr}{r}[/tex] ???
    That means [tex]f(\theta, \phi)=-\frac{1}{4\pi}\int e^{-ik\vec r \cdot \vec r'}U(r')\phi(\vec r')d^3r'[/tex]. But this is dependent on r, isn't it? In other sources I find rougly the same, with no explanation why this is considered independent of r. In my eyes that looks just wrong. Physics is strange.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2
    Ah, I see. It's not [tex]\vec r[/tex] but [tex]\hat r[/tex], i.e. the unit vector in radial direction. I misinterpreted the notation. Right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook