Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scattering by Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes

1. Oct 12, 2011 #1
    I am interested in the use of carbon nanotubes for making transparent conductive films, for example to replace indium tin oxide.
    When I looked up papers on the subject, I noticed that most of the work to date has used single-walled carbon nanotubes.
    Initially I was under the impression that single-walled CNTs is almost exclusively used because of the higher conductivity of single walled CNTs (especially metallic CNTs).

However, someone recently pointed out to me that larger diameter of multiwalled CNTs result in more scattering.
    I did not get a chance to ask him what he means by that and I'm not even sure if he is referring to light scattering or electron scattering.
    Can someone please provide me with more details as to what it might mean?
    Also, why would scattering be detrimental to the performance of transparent conductive films if they are to be used for say display applications or as electrode for organic PVs.

My apology if this is a rather mundane question.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted