1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scattering Cross-section questions

1. Mar 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problems are Shankar 19.3.2 and 19.3.3 with spherically symmetric potentials V(r)=-V[tex]_{0}(r_{0}-r)\theta[/tex] and V(r)=V[tex]_{0}exp(-r_{2}/r^{0}_{2}^{})[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]
    f\left( \theta \right) = - \frac{{2\mu }}{{\hbar ^2 }}\int\limits_{r_0 }^r {\frac{{\sin qr'}}{q}V\left( {r'} \right)r'dr'}
    [/tex]
    and
    [tex]
    \frac{{d\sigma }}{{d\Omega }} = \left| {f\left( \theta \right)} \right|^2
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Don't I just substitute the potentials for V(r) and integrate? The example in Shankar seemed to do that successfully for the Yukawa potential. What am I missing?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2009 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you tried it?

4. Mar 10, 2009 #3
    Yes, I did try. Shankar gives the answer to the first one:
    [tex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}= 4r_0^2 \left( {\frac{{\mu V_0 r_0^2 }}{{\hbar ^2 }}} \right)^2 \frac{{\left( {\sin qr_0 - qr_0 \cos qr_0 } \right)^2 }}{{\left( {qr_0 } \right)^6 }}$[/tex]

Questions that arise from this:
    What happened to [tex]\theta[/tex]?
    What are the appropriate limits of integration - r[tex]_{0}[/tex] to [tex]\infty[/tex]?

5. May 4, 2010 #4
    why to study the structure of nuclear scattering is often used as Compton scattering without using the other?

6. Apr 19, 2012 #5
    I was just working through Shankar 19.3.3 and it's seriously a tough problem (if you don't use mathematica.) I thought it might be nice to put my hints on here.

For finding ∂σ/∂Ω, I used the following tricks (in the order listed):

1. Get rid of the r in the integrand by saying r sin(qr) = ∂/∂q[cos(qr)]

2. Write the cos as the sum of exponentials

3. Combine the two exponential integrals

4. Complete the square for the exponential integral

5. Change variables to turn it into a gaussian integral

And then to find σ

6. Use shankar's hint to change the integral over q into an integral over cosθ

I think it officially qualifies as a "tricky" problem.

13.3.2 just requires you to evaluate a limit using L'Hopital's rule--it's not nearly as challenging.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook