1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scattering problem

1. Nov 29, 2007 #1
    Hi , I got stuck on a point of griffiths' scattering problem on "the introduction to elementary particles"
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the case of elastic scattering , A+B-->A+B , in the lab frame (B initially at rest) assuming the target is so heavy (mbc2 >> Ea) that its recoil is negligible . Use (6.34) to determine the differential scattering cross section .

2. Relevant equations
    Equation (6.34) :
    [tex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}[/tex]=M[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\frac{[tex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex]S}{4\sqrt{\left(p_{1}\bullet p_{2}\right)^{2}-\left(m_{1}m_{2}c^{2}\right)^{2}}[/tex][tex]\left[\left(\frac{cd^{3}p_{3}}{[tex]\left(2\Pi^{3}[/tex][tex]\right)[/tex]2E_{3}}[/tex][tex]\right)[/tex]\left(\frac{cd^{3}p_{4}}{[tex]\left(2\Pi^{3}[/tex][tex]\right)[/tex]2E_{4}}[/tex][tex]\right)[/tex]\bullet\bullet\bullet\left(\frac{cd^{3}p_{n}}{[tex]\left(2\Pi^{3}[/tex][tex]\right)[/tex]2E_{n}}[/tex][tex]\right)[/tex][tex]\right][/tex][tex]\times[/tex][tex]\left(2\Pi^{4}[/tex][tex]\right)[/tex][tex]\delta^{4}\left(P_{1}+P_{2}-P_{3}-P_{4}\bullet\bullet\bullet-P_{n}\right)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}[/tex]=M[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\frac{[tex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex]S}{16\left(2\Pi\right)^{2}\left|P_{1}\right|m_{2}c}\frac{\rho*d\rho}{\left(\rho^{2}+P_{1}^{2}-2\rho\left|P_{1}\right|cos\theta\right)^{1/2}}\delta\left(\frac{E_{1}+E_{2}}{c}-\rho-\left|P_{4}\right|\right)[/tex]

I got this formula so far , however , I cannot cancel out the delta function . It seems that it is impossible for me to separate rho and p1 as independent variables when p4 is involved in the delta function .

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2007 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Please fix your tex ... this is too hard to read.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?