1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scattering problem

1. Apr 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A beam of particles strikes a wall containing 2 × 10^29 atoms/m^3. Each atom behaves as a hard sphere of radius 3 × 10^–15 m.

Find the thickness of the wall such that exactly half the incident particles go through without scattering.

2. Relevant equations

N(sc) = N(inc) × n(tar) × σ ---> (1)
    N(sc) = the number of scattered particles
    N(inc) = the number of incident particles
    n(tar) = the target density
    σ = cross sectional area of the target = πR^2
    n(tar) = ρt/m ---> (2)
    ρ = density
    t = thickness of the wall
    m = mass

3. The attempt at a solution

Hello everyone; this is a straightforward scattering problem but I seem to be missing something here. This is what I did so far:
    From the given information I have:
    N(sc) = ½ N(inc) ---> 2N(sc) = N(inc)
    R = 3 × 10^–15 m ---> σ = πR^2 = 9π × 10^–30 m^2
    Plugging these values in equation (1), I can get the value of n(tar) which turned out to be 1.77 × 10^28 m^–2
    Having this value of n(tar), I can substitute into equation (2) and solve for t. This is where I’m stuck, as I’m supposed to find numerical values for ρ and m in order for me to find t. These values can be obtained from the given information that the wall contains 2 × 10^29 atoms/m^3, and I think that I can get my values for ρ and m from the following equation:
    The number of atoms per unit volume = (Avogadro’s number × density)/atomic mass
    That is: 2 × 10^29 atoms/m^3 = (6.022 × 10^23 mol^–1 × density)/atomic mass
    This is where I’m not sure how to proceed, as I need to find the density and atomic mass (and convert it to kg as well) from this equation; any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Be careful here.

We know that the macroscopic cross-section, Σ, for an interaction is given by Σ = nσ, where n is the atomic density and σ is the microscopic cross section.

So Σs = nσs.

Now we also know that N(x) = No exp (-Σs x), where x is the distance traveled, and No is the initial particle intensity (we could use I(x) and Io).

All we need to do is find the distance (thickness) t at which half of the particles reach without scattering, and so they leave the other side (of slab thickness t), without having scattered.

So what is N(t)/No?

4. Apr 11, 2009 #3
    Now it makes sense using your equations; still straightforward, but different way of looking at things. Thank you very much for your help Astronuc, I really appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook