Solving Scattering Problem: Get Help with Phase Shift Delta

• Thread starter ftft
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scattering
In summary, the person is seeking help with a confusing problem in scattering theory, specifically with the phase shift in the famous scattering by a square well problem. They have attached a file showing their own derivation which does not match the expected behavior at small energies. They are asking for any hints or solutions to their problem.
ftft
hi all,

I am facing a confusing problem with scattering theory and any hint would be greatly appreciated..
In the famous scattering by a square well problem the phase shift[tex]\delta[/tex] is a smooth curve in the particle energy... but what I get from my own derivation is not exactly as it should be (see attached file)...

any hint?

Attachments

• delta0at50.jpeg
    delta0at50.jpeg
    8.5 KB · Views: 522
Physics news on Phys.org
Your phase shift has jumped by pi, probably at the energy where a bound state appears.
The bound state pulls the wave function in, changing the phase by pi.

Thank you.. however the figure doesn't show the expected behaviour at small energies...
I attached a pdf file showing what I did exactly, hoping that somebody will discover what the problem is in my derivation..
I am really desperate to know..

Attachments

• scattering.pdf
    41.1 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
"I couldn't get the correct behavior of the curve at small energies E at any
value of the potential.
I think my derivation is correct and also my variable…. So why doesn't it
give me the supposed figures? Where is the error?"

I don't know what you mean by the above statements.
Your figure in the thumbnail looks like what I would expect.
I can't (won't) go through your steps in detail, but they seem like what I have seen in textbooks.

exactly, it seems like is given in textbooks.. but getting through it is another thing

What is the phase shift delta in the context of solving scattering problems?

The phase shift delta is a measure of the change in the phase of a wave due to scattering. In the context of solving scattering problems, it is used to calculate the scattering amplitude and scattering cross section.

Why is solving scattering problems important in scientific research?

Solving scattering problems allows scientists to understand how particles interact with each other and with their environment. This is crucial in many areas of research, including material science, particle physics, and astrophysics.

What factors affect the phase shift delta in scattering?

The phase shift delta is affected by several factors, including the energy and wavelength of the incident particle, the properties of the scattering medium, and the angle of scattering. Other factors such as spin and magnetic moment may also play a role in certain cases.

What techniques are commonly used to solve scattering problems?

There are several techniques that can be used to solve scattering problems, including analytical methods such as the Born approximation and numerical methods such as Monte Carlo simulations. The choice of technique depends on the specific problem and the desired level of accuracy.

Are there any resources available for getting help with solving scattering problems?

Yes, there are many resources available for getting help with solving scattering problems. These include textbooks, online tutorials, and consulting with experts in the field. Additionally, many universities and research institutions offer workshops or courses on scattering theory and techniques.