Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scattering problem

1. Apr 19, 2010 #1
    hi all,

I am facing a confusing problem with scattering theory and any hint would be greatly appreciated..
    In the famous scattering by a square well problem the phase shift[tex]\delta[/tex] is a smooth curve in the particle energy... but what I get from my own derivation is not exactly as it should be (see attached file)...

any hint?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2010 #2

clem

Science Advisor

Your phase shift has jumped by pi, probably at the energy where a bound state appears.
    The bound state pulls the wave function in, changing the phase by pi.

4. Apr 19, 2010 #3
    Thank you.. however the figure doesn't show the expected behaviour at small energies....
    I attached a pdf file showing what I did exactly, hoping that somebody will discover what the problem is in my derivation..
    I am really desperate to know..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  5. Apr 19, 2010 #4

clem

Science Advisor

"I couldn't get the correct behavior of the curve at small energies E at any
    value of the potential.
    I think my derivation is correct and also my variable…. So why doesn't it
    give me the supposed figures? Where is the error?"

I don't know what you mean by the above statements.
    Your figure in the thumbnail looks like what I would expect.
    I can't (won't) go through your steps in detail, but they seem like what I have seen in textbooks.

6. Apr 20, 2010 #5
    exactly, it seems like is given in textbooks.. but getting through it is another thing

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook